towing with the RAM 3500

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
since i know nothing of diesel engines/towing anything besides a small car hauler or even using 1ton trucks.
and i am pulling the 28 foot 5th wheel 700 miles to Nebraska in a few days.
i am researching everything i can think of.
tire pressures weight capacities all that stuff.
and i found i dont really understand how to read the sticker on the inside of the door.
i found info on Chrysler website
and i also don't know what the optimum RPM's are for this cummins
for instance
should i rev high enough to let the turbo kik in in every gear?
i know not to lug the engine
but i dont know what cruising RPMs should be on the flat highway.
here is some stuff i found online
and from the way the truck drives i would guess i have the 4.10's

dodge ram 2500/3500 pickup quad cab 3500 SLT, QUAD CAB, 2WD, LWB Bed, Transmission - Six-Speed Manual Heavy-Duty, Engine - 5.9L High-Output Cummins Turbo Diesel:

With Axle Ratio - 3.55 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 13200 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 10500 lbs
Payload = 3872 lbs
Curb Weight = 6628 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 3910 lbs/3910 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear = 4500 lbs/7500 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 20000 lbs

With Axle Ratio - 4.10 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 14700 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 10500 lbs
Payload = 3872 lbs
Curb Weight = 6628 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 3910 lbs/3910 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear = 4500 lbs/7500 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 21500 lbs

what year is the truck billy?

it is a great truck.
there are a couple things i dont care for but they are very minor
i dont like the cup holders for instance.
and the dash has/is crumbling to fragments
but the work part of the rig is fantastic.

it seems to me that 6th gear on this truck is really an overdrive.
unloaded i never use first and on the freeway i end up in 6th
i have a feeling that with a load
i start in 1st and end in 5th
i may be wrong
but i suspect i am correct

Air pressure, adjust them while hot to the what the tire itself is rated at. It will say on the tire. Should have at least 10 ply tires that are rated for about 65 psi.

Cruising rpms for a cummins are usually around 2k for best fuel mileage. All trucks are different tho. If your running at highway speeds your not going to lug the truck.

6th gear, what most people don't realize is that 6th gear in the 6 spd is the same gear ratio as 5th gear in a 5 spd. The six speed is basically the same trans as a five speed with a extra gear between third and fourth.

1st gear, useless! Unless your moving a house it's a waste. I never use it unless I'm crawling in traffic or something.

Make sure you change your fuel filter with a good filter and ALWAYS have a spare filter with you. Especially while buying fuel at random places along the interstate.

I've had several cummins trucks Billy. If ya have any questions or problems on the road don't hesitate to ask!

Air pressure, adjust them while hot to the what the tire itself is rated at. It will say on the tire. Should have at least 10 ply tires that are rated for about 65 psi.

Cruising rpms for a cummins are usually around 2k for best fuel mileage. All trucks are different tho. If your running at highway speeds your not going to lug the truck.

6th gear, what most people don't realize is that 6th gear in the 6 spd is the same gear ratio as 5th gear in a 5 spd. The six speed is basically the same trans as a five speed with a extra gear between third and fourth.

1st gear, useless! Unless your moving a house it's a waste. I never use it unless I'm crawling in traffic or something.

Make sure you change your fuel filter with a good filter and ALWAYS have a spare filter with you. Especially while buying fuel at random places along the interstate.

I've had several cummins trucks Billy. If ya have any questions or problems on the road don't hesitate to ask!
that spare filter is a good idea
when i installed the FASS DDRP 02 pump i installed the extra inline filter they supplied as well.
and thanks for the input on the 5 and 6 speeds.
i doubt if i wll go over 55mph on this trip.
finding a place to adjust the tire pressure after driving for a while sounds like a PITA.
i dunno if i will be able to pull that advice off.
i dont have a compressor

We have a 32' tag we pull with a 2012 Chevy 3500. The biggest thing I worry about on a long trip is the trailer wheel bearings and the trailer tires. I have a friend that pulls mobile homes for a living. They have a lot of tire problems on mobile homes. He has told me that if he stays below 65 mph he get better fuel mileage, has almost no tire problems on the trailers, and in the long run he makes more money in less time. He went on to say that if he runs over 70 then they have tire problems and can be stuck on the side of the road for hours if not all day getting tires fixed.

On my truck it runs about 65 mph at 1600 rpm and get better milage at about 60.

You should not have any problems if everything is in good order before you leave. We do run 10 ply tires all the way arond on everything. We also run 80 psi in all the tires, set cold. There should be a tire pressure chart on the truck and trailer, I would do what ever they reccomend.

I run 10 ply tires on my truck and trailers. On the truck, not less than 75 psi. front, 60 psi.rear. On the trailer not less than 75 psi.
I have an 01 Ram3500 I bought new. When pulling a trailer, loaded, I always use 1st gear and actually idle away from stop lights until the clutch is all the way engaged and I run in 6th on the highway 3.55 gear ratio. The clutch will last longer doing it that way.
What ever the speed limit, I'm running it, trailer or no trailer. Never had an issue.

Hey Billy,
What are your plans as far as getting the trailer hooked up and out of your spot? If you'll let me know I will come and help you and we'll go on a shake down run and I'll show you everything I know about your rig and answer any questions you might have.

You don't have 4 ply tires on the Dodge. I will bring a compressor and help you get your pressure set.

You need to make sure you have a bottle jack in case you do have any tire trouble. Just a cheap one from Walmart is fine, 6 ton is plenty.

You probably need to repack your wheel bearings on the trailer. It's been a couple of years since they were done. They should be fine cause it's just been parked but I wouldn't take that chance.

Let me know and I'll make my schedule work for you.

Hey Billy,
What are your plans as far as getting the trailer hooked up and out of your spot? If you'll let me know I will come and help you and we'll go on a shake down run and I'll show you everything I know about your rig and answer any questions you might have.

You don't have 4 ply tires on the Dodge. I will bring a compressor and help you get your pressure set.

You need to make sure you have a bottle jack in case you do have any tire trouble. Just a cheap one from Walmart is fine, 6 ton is plenty.

You probably need to repack your wheel bearings on the trailer. It's been a couple of years since they were done. They should be fine cause it's just been parked but I wouldn't take that chance.

Let me know and I'll make my schedule work for you.
Ok
You got it
Lord knows I need the help!
Today is my last day at work
I will call you tomorrow after church and we can figure out what is what.
Thanks brother!

See you guys?
This is why I come here.

I do have a bottle jack but I don't know if it is a six ton.
I hope so.
I am just barely going to have enough money to get out there.
Just squeaking by
As per usual...

Always adjust air pressure cold! 10ply or load range E is 80 psi max!, while hot they should gain 10 to 12 %

i am going with what the tires say is max cold.
that seems to be the consensus
i think i am going to repack the bearings on the trailer today.
just waiting for the arthritis medicine to kick in then i will start. hopefully the seals and stuff are in good shape

update
due to the hole the skin cancer doctor cut in my face then sewed up.
bending down to work on the bearings isnt working out.
i get dizzy and my head pounds.
so i jacked up a tire
then had to quit.

Actual plys don't mean much, what rating are they ? Should have at least E rated tires. The cummins should be quite happy at 65 and you should also be able to use 6th on fairly flat ground but will find yourself shifting some in hilly or mountains. I think the 2001 is a good year. But with most Dodges I have driven, the cabs are kinda loose. If you get in a cross wind, they whistle like you didn't get the door closed. I always stop every 2-3 hours, feel every tire and hub. You will know ahwad of time if something starts running warm.
Good luck with the trip. I just came all the way across Neb. yesterday. Spent the night in York and drove home (to the Black Hills) from there.

POPS that i bought the truck and both trailers from is coming over to get this thing out of the extremely tight corner he tucked it into when he delivered it.
i am sure i could get it out but i dont want to risk damage and he is perfectly willing to help me do this and repack the bearings.
i cant believe that minor surgery jacked me up so much i am having trouble with lug nuts!

Latest posts

Back