Trailer?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR55

It's just a little surface rust!
I'm just curious as how many of you trailer your car to a show? I've been working next to the main highway here in little Delaware and I'm watching all the car trailers going by me on the way to the Ocean City Maryland car show. I have trailered in the past when I was going long distance and I still had 5 kids going with me. Not enough room in a tubbed car with only 2 seats! Once we got to a show the truck was parked until it was time to go home. What are your opinions? I just don't understand the reasoning behind owning a car and not driving the tar out of it! ..:D...CR

I feel its ok to tow a project to the show. I enjoy seeing a car that is heavy under construction. Gives you a chance to see the guts of a car. But if its drivable then drive it to the show. Why build it just to trailer it to the show?

Even worst is the guy that parks the trailer down the road and pretends to have driven the car there...

I trailer the old Daytripper if it's more than 3 hours... but I'm not near as young as I used to be. I see these guys with real banger cars they drive cross country & figure they must have a back & kidneys of steel! Not interested in ridin' a hard-tail Harley either though! [ddd

BoB

I got a lot of flak for trailering my bike to Sturgis. I'm only 3.5 hours away. What people don't realize is to take a woman you need to take just about everything in the house.

Now the guys ride down and the women drive.

My idea on cars being trailered...The first thing that comes to mind is are they not road worthy?

I'm building mine to road trip;)

I trailer the old Daytripper if it's more than 3 hours... but I'm not near as young as I used to be. I see these guys with real banger cars they drive cross country & figure they must have a back & kidneys of steel! Not interested in ridin' a hard-tail Harley either though! [ddd

BoB

X2, it really depends on the length of the trip and what car I'm taking.

I had to trailer mine to Austin but it was 450 miles away and mamma wanted the kitchen sink too !!!but I did cruise it all around town and it was great. next time I'll either go it alone or the family can take the car

Never trailered any of the street rods I built but never drove to a show more than one days drive and didn't have kids to take along either. I feel like if a guy wants to trailer his rod its his business...[P

Needing comfort

I trailer the old Daytripper if it's more than 3 hours... but I'm not near as young as I used to be. I see these guys with real banger cars they drive cross country & figure they must have a back & kidneys of steel! Not interested in ridin' a hard-tail Harley either though! [dddBoB

I hear ya there Tripper - I rode a rigid Harley for almost 35 yrs.,up till about 5 yrs. ago, broke down and got a bagger - air shocks, windshield, radio - had to put more cushion in my '49 Ford before I sold it and had to get the heater fixed if I wanted to drive it during the winter.

Hiya guys, Man this could turn into a real debate, the politicians better beware.:D I have never been into trail queens but I also appreciate that your good country is very large compared to our little islands. If I had the pleasure of living in the USA I would trailer my car to the city where the run is to be held and then drive the wheels off it. The main reason would be for comfort and safety of the modern tow vehicle, plus as already mentioned, the better haif always needs two to three times the luggage that we need..[S[S[S:D

well sinister gets 10 miles to the gallon, well my truck gets 17 mpg hauling the trailer with sinister on it, so if it is more than 100 miles round trip I may trailer it. So far I have driven it, but I have trailered other cars at 100 miles one way, all in the how hard the seats are lol my T bucket was 30 miles my back end would be screaming for me to stop and walk around.

I've never had the equipment or desire to trailer any of my vehicles, anywhere. If a show is too far to drive my rod for any reason,I'll stay home or just go as a spectator. That's just what I think.

Good responses guys. I'm not trying to start an argument whiplash, just asking for opinions! I have done both and can especially relate to the amount of "stuff" that women need to take!....The bus remark was a good one Tripper!!.:D CR

Good responses guys. I'm not trying to start an argument whiplash, just asking for opinions! I have done both and can especially relate to the amount of "stuff" that women need to take!....The bus remark was a good one Tripper!!.:D CR

This could be you!!! :D:D:D

Attachments

• bus.jpg
    bus.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 18
  • penbus.jpg
    penbus.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 18
I 'trailered' my sedan to a charity s/s last summer (it had no steering box fitted yet) and had it called a 'trailer queen' by a man and wife.
Watched them take the car cover of their 'A' inside the purpose made car hauler and then push it to it's spot because it didn't have any gas in it.
Bob

I don't own a trailer so I can't trailer my car anywhere. I'm not opposed to people trailering their car to a show unless it's a show that specifies "no trailered cars". As already stated, there are some valid reasons to trailer and I really don't care what others do with their own car. That's their business. Neither of my cars are very comfortable to drive for distances but I still love every minute of it. As long as I am able to do so, I will continue. The longest I have driven to a show is 5 hours (each way). Any farther than that and I would need to take an additional day off of work.

As a side note, I enjoy viewing different styles of cars. Some of those cars include all out custom show cars finished to perfection. If someone didn't trailer them to a show, they wouldn't be there and I would never be able to see them outside of magazine pages.

Ahhh the big trailered car question. Actually I`m impressed by the responses and good sense displayed in the comments. You guys know how it is.
I have built drivers and shiny bottom show cars both and how they are built determines if the trailer comes out for trips. Gearing, level of detailing/chrome/paint and driving comfort are all considered. That`s just part of the process and selections during the build.

We have several vehicles I could actually use for a daily driver and have no concerns about going on a 300 mile round trip. However my Prostreeter has an 8 gallon fuel cell and thirsty big block that keeps it to stopping every 50 miles for premium fuel.Trailer necessary. I have an old traditional coupe that I would not want to ride in very long unless I could get out and relieve my back and battered kidneys every so often. Buggy springs are wonderful aren`t they?

I used to take pride in driving my car and showing against the trailer queens but as I get older that has changed. I need my creature comforts, extra room for essentials and the trailer does add a sense of comfort knowing you can get your car home when trouble is encountered. Nobody likes being broken down on the road.

Bill

Last edited:
Until I can afford to go through the bonding process ,which may be never, to get my 47 titled Ill be trailering it to where ever Im going with it.

Latest posts

Back