Trying to decide on engine, what would you do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engine choices. What to do, what to do.....

• Carbed AMC six, maybe turbo.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • FI Jeep stroker six, maybe turbo.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Obscure large ci v8, probably no room for turbo.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other, specify below.

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Johnson

So I`m to the point in my Rambler project where I`m starting to think about what to put between the fenders after that little 199 has vacated the premise(yes i know it doesn`t actually even drive yet). I can think of a few options(see poll).

1)Build up an AMC six with a carb, just to be different. I do have a 232 to cannibalize/make go fast parts out of. (possibility of a turbo)

2)Build a stroker six(from a cherokee 4.0) with Fuel Injection. (also has the possibility of a turbo)

3)Find some large ci v8 and jam it in there. Preferably one that doesn`t get much attention from rodders these days(nailhead, caddy big block, etc). Probably won`t have room for forced induction.

4)Other(Specify in your reply).

Thanks guys,
Johnson

I would say a ford 302.
They are relatively narrow, and will fit just about anywhere an inline six will.
Very light weight too. Put on a Holley 2 barrel, tune it right, and enjoy decent gas mileage.

Really your #1 and #2 choice are the same, the 4.0 was born from the old 258. Both are great engines, make plenty of torque, and reliable. Transmission options are rather limited, without the use of adapters, which is why they don't get my vote. A straight 6 really needs a manual transmission to be fun.

You are already a glutton for punishment , so why not an AMC V8?

Check out Don Moyers "Rebel Reaper" AMC-powered Willys gasser. It will get your juices flowin... [ddev

single turbo LS based motor.....

of course I might be biased about the LS based motors but you can't beat 600HP for less than $3k! junkyard 5.3L with a single master power T70 turbo for the win![cl

here is my equations for this thought:

obscure big V8 = $$$

AMC 6 turbo = $$$$ to get it to live

Jeep turbo 6 = see above

LS based turbo = big HP for not much $$$

Me = liking HP over obscurity, traditions, breaking out of the mold, etc. and saving $$$

AMC 290, 304, 360, 390, 401 or just bolt in a 287 or 327!

2nd Gen AMC 360 in my AMX
IMG_0136.jpg

1st Gen 287 in my 65 Rambler
DSC_0011.jpg

I like the Olds 350 and 455. You can get running ones cheap, usually with a TH400 and they make excellent torque. They are also pretty different engines. The 455 is a screamer in my opinion.

I'd try to find a junkyard V8 on the cheap and slam in there. You'll spend more money trying to boost a 6 banger and might wind up with reliability problems to boot. Just my opinion. [S

Greaser

I`ve been leaning toward either a 302, one of the caddy big blocks, a 455, or a ford 429/460.

The 302 would be cheapest, but I think after I got it in I would realize it isn`t enough cubes...... at least not when I could have had much bigger.

Thanks for all the opinions, keep `em coming,
Johnson

-Oh, and as to "why not an AMC engine?", I don`t have one and it would be just as much trouble finding/making the parts to put it in as any other v8. Not dissing anyone, just my $.02.

I`ve been leaning toward either a 302, one of the caddy big blocks, a 455, or a ford 429/460.

With gas prices going the way they are... I'm think'n a 302 is lookin' a lil better than a BB Caddy or Ford. Also depends on how much u're gonna drive it though! Ummm... just my 2¢!!!

BoB

What year rambler is it. I would watch the weight of a big block if it has the stock Trunnion style suspension.

I'd go amc v8 for brand originality and tranny bolt up keeping your stock suspension. if you want to save money drop in a chevy smallblock but your going to have to redesign the rear suspension.

If I remember right the AMC straight six is related to the hudson and clifford performance can help with that.

I had a buddy back in high school that took his 292 chevy, cammed it up, ported the head, they stroked the crank and used rods and pistons from a different engine. he put on a holly 750 and 6 into one header and it would outright smoke any 350 he put it up against.
he blew up 3 12 bolt posi's with it.

The 302 is only on the list because they are cheap, I can find go-fast parts cheap, I`m familiar with them, and a 5 speed is easy to find for them. The gas mileage doesn`t hurt it either. If you look long enough, you can find cheap big blocks. I wouldn`t even have to build a BB though, most are more than enough for this car stock. I don`t really want a SBC, I see them all the time. I might as well have a Nova..... :p

40:
It`s a 1965. I hadn`t thought of that, but I figured I would want to upgrade from those tiny drum brakes before I put a big block in as well. The front suspension from another car would probably be in order.

Torch:
My tranny and torque tube are both shot, I`m going to put a ford 8.8 back there. The AMC six is derived from a Nash/Hudson flathead six. There are cams/intakes/headers/etc out there for them(mainly from the 258s popularity with offroaders in jeeps), you just have to look to find them cheap.

Great discussion guys, keep it coming.
-Johnson

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back