Uh oh! Old car police got me!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilD

Got a letter in the mail today stating my old truck is in violation of a city code for inoperable vehicle. The exact wording is "Either not registered, no valid plate or unable to drive on the road". Its registered, has current plates/sticker, is fully insured and I drive it at least once a week. I think a neighbor with too much time sees it parked street side and doesnt like it. Im in no way in violation of the code. Gonna have fun with city hall Monday

Had that thought to! I couldnt wait til Monday so I left a voice message for the guy at city hall. Nothing bad just asked how im in violation when..... call me!

Police had nothing to do with it....

Got a letter in the mail today stating my old truck is in violation of a city code for inoperable vehicle. The exact wording is "Either not registered, no valid plate or unable to drive on the road". Its registered, has current plates/sticker, is fully insured and I drive it at least once a week. I think a neighbor with too much time sees it parked street side and doesnt like it. Im in no way in violation of the code. Gonna have fun with city hall Monday

I think the old neighbor probably thought it was unregistered, plated and not insured.....his complaint spurred the letter.....simply show the info and you are good to go..... then re-park the car on his side of the street out side his house.....LOL...if it's not a private drive the street is open to the public and you can darn well park anywhere you want...... I love this stuff!!! We had a guy call us to have his neighbor move his vehicle from in front of this guys house..... we told him...Can't do it.....public street, he can park where he wants as long as it's not on the curb, blocking a drive or near a hydrant.....he was not happy.....Oh Well...LOL

I would drive it to city hall....
and do a couple donuts out front.
On street parking is kind of a nerve ending for me. Lots of people here (including one of my best friends) consider the street out front their own personal parking lot, boat storage..whatever. I have to park up the next block when I go see him because of all his cars, and he doesn't understand why his neighbors rat him out for other violations, like parking his boat on the boulevard between the sidewalk and curb. Lots of people do it but the city only responds if there is a complaint.
I'm just glad I have access to 75 acres and don't have to leave my car(s) on the street to get splashed with slush, sideswiped by texters and snowplows, ect.

Not sure about the donut thing....lol

and do a couple donuts out front.
On street parking is kind of a nerve ending for me. Lots of people here (including one of my best friends) consider the street out front their own personal parking lot, boat storage..whatever. I have to park up the next block when I go see him because of all his cars, and he doesn't understand why his neighbors rat him out for other violations, like parking his boat on the boulevard between the sidewalk and curb. Lots of people do it but the city only responds if there is a complaint.
I'm just glad I have access to 75 acres and don't have to leave my car(s) on the street to get splashed with slush, sideswiped by texters and snowplows, ect.

Boats, travel trailers and other things like that are a different situation.....our ordinances don't allow them to be parked on the streets either.....but we do allow them to be parked at the rear or side of their home...but honestly, we are busy enough that unless we get a complaint, we normally don't have time for that crap.... and even if we get a complaint...we go over, talk to the owner and simply ask them to move it....no letters...personal contact and they appreciate the face to face vs a letter....it's all in the communication...JMHO....

My hickabilly town is so crazy with ordinances it's not funny. We aren't suppose to even have kids toys in our yard. The last time they messed with me I told them to just take me to court. Haven't has a problem since.

I feel for you guys that live in town like that. Like Willowbilly, I'm glad I've got 9 acres of my own, plus 40 more of family owned, to keep my stuff on. Only person that I listen to complain is the wife, and when she speaks, I move stuff! :D

Our neighborhood has alot of cars parked next to the road but we dont have curbs so the cars are half on the gravel shoulder and half into the grass. Plenty of space for two cars to pass at the same time and the people with boats have them in the driveway or on a pad next to their garage. Personaly I realy dont care where they park whatever they have. Its their property. My buddies neighbors ganged up on another neighbor who had an rv parked in his driveway. They said it was an eyesore. The thing was brand new, was registered..... :mad: people need to worry about their own stuff and not others

y'all are nicer then me, i have been known to tell them their #1, and walk away.
i have never complained about any of them, and expect the same from them. i did have one years ago, but after cranking loud cars/trucks in the middle of the night they got the message, then the place got peaceful. but that one complained about me mowing grass at 7:00 in the morning and even in the evening, then about the flowers in my yard, crepe myrtles she couldn't see through them, now mind you these where 5' off the road in my yard, found out i was on vacation and had the city cutting them, you should have seen her face when my father in law showed up. don't y'all just love them kind of people?

LOL Before The Binder was still the Olds (fun/drag car) I had it parked out back in the alley on our property. The neighbor called the city, I got a letter same as yours and I simply asked what I could do. They said park it out front if it had tags. I said OK. The next day the nosy neighbor cornered me when I was getting off work. I explained to her I called the city and now I was in compliance. The next day Code enforcement came out and had a talk with me. She showed up with them. They said I could park in back where I was before. I said NOPE. I'm not gonna be a law breaker and it will be parked right here.

When I started the Binder project. The Olds was going to be the frame to it. It left for a while. She and her husband came over and thanked me for moving it. I just said hey, no problem. A few months later the Binder was drivable and came Home
That's their house and that's where the Binder is parked always
1elcamino1.jpg

My first real car was a very nice '57 Chevy 210 hardtop. I parked it up in our driveway off the street. One day on my way to work at the sawmill I had an ammeter wire fry and had to have a friend get it home so I could get to work. He parked it on the street the only time it ever was and two guys racing by the house hit it. The one that hit it was a 3/4 ton 4x4 going 70 in a 25 mph zone. Needless to say it destroyed my car completely. I would not park it on the street unless you don't care about it.

This is what happens when people keep voting in politicians that support government regulation and control of everything.

I have one regulation on my spread...

"Don't tread on me"

FLAG-DONT-TREAD-ON-ME-2.gif

I've always talked with my neighbors about my cars and noise. My wife and daughter park in the front. I have a corner lot with 200ft of curb on the side where I park my vehicles. The side street is narrow so me and the neighbors talk about the best way to park. I also quit making noise in the garage at 8pm on work nights. I even make sure they don't mind me parking a vehicle in the yard during the winter - more space on the street. It's called respect.

Now, my next door neighbor, I just don't talk to - the girlfriend and daughter are real nice, but he is lame - not a ahole, just a lazy loser. Doesn't mow his lawn (6ft tall weeds), lets his dog crap in everybody else lawn, that kind of thing. He has a van in front of his house that hasn't moved in almost 2 years so has to park her car in front of someone else house. Parking is tight in front.

On a few occasions he's made 'helpful' comments about how I might want to do something about whatever because somebody might call the city on me, but he doesn't realize I talk with the other neighbors. He thinks I turned him in for stuff, so he's tried to get me, but I'm always legit, except the truck in the yard over winter and they never have tagged me for it. It's obvious, because he always disappears for a couple weeks after.

I used to always park my driver with 2 wheels on the curb when it snowed because of the narrow street. Last year I got a 20$ ticket for it, so I quit doing it. 2 Days later the neighbors cars got hit and run by what looked like a plow blade. Ugly. Didn't see Mr. Loser for a month.

Buying a house in the country right now.

I live in the country on 20 acres, nearest neighbor is 1/4 mi away
They'd have me ran out of the city within 30 min of my arrival

My first real car was a very nice '57 Chevy 210 hardtop. I parked it up in our driveway off the street. One day on my way to work at the sawmill I had an ammeter wire fry and had to have a friend get it home so I could get to work. He parked it on the street the only time it ever was and two guys racing by the house hit it. The one that hit it was a 3/4 ton 4x4 going 70 in a 25 mph zone. Needless to say it destroyed my car completely. I would not park it on the street unless you don't care about it.

I had a friend loose her 63 Impala. The cops were chasing some thug and he hit her car and totalled it. She only had liability and the cops weren't responsible so she lost. I'd never park on the street, only for an hour or so on slow side streets to visit.
Not to step on toes but I personally feel that if the city street is the only place you have to park your fleet, you need more land...or fewer cars.

I agree with WB, although I am a fan of personal rights, your rights also end where someone else's start. Have to remember not everyone is a fan or appreciates rat rods, or other projects.

I have a feeling that if things were parked which were not pleasant to your eye in front of your house things would get ugly pretty fast. I think we as rat rodders have a responsibility to not do things to give ratrodders or rodders in general a bad name, as it gives the politicians and associations something to write more silly laws about that affect more of us.

Respect for one another is something I feel is important, and really starting to fade away in this country, so we can either change that trend, or let it continue to the point where there is no respect for one another, not a world I want to live in...

i see no one made a remark about my post, that was when i was in my 20's, and lived in the city, now i'm in my 50's and i live in the country and have lots of room, and great neighbors, and all is peaceful. i guess you do grow up with age.

I think you eventually get sick of always dealing with annoying people and leave. Car stereo's thumping at 2am, cars honking in front of the neighbors house, kids running in your yard, gotta lock everything down, scrappers, busy-bodies, city codes.....

Don't forget poorly run city government where the council squanders away your taxes on bad/stupid projects that are destined to fail/lose money.

Did I mention we just bought a house in the country?

Latest posts

Back