Under $3000 Builds?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
all i have to say to this is why build it cheaper....... when you could build it better the first time. if its going to be your ride. then put the money into it to make it the way you want not to fit some crazy budget.

as for my builds. i spend want i need to make it the way i want. even if it does take longer. its better then no being happy with it once im done.

but i guess if your throwing it together to sell then i would do it cheap too.

under 3K

my 2 cents, (not that its worth anything)..I have found that the least expensive ride can be someones unfinished project. If you search the automotive sections of the popular auction web sites...use project as your search word. You will be amazed at what you will find. There are ****ed-off wives who give the old-man the choice: "her or the car"..and usually its the car that goes, its that simple.

I saw on another site that their idea of a budget build was $6000. I think thats a little more realistic. Course they dont like unpainted and rusty "junk" either. I dont care to try to make it under whatever amount and I dont want to know how much I got into the car in the end myself but thats just me. I give kuddos for those who are that creative, ambitious or resourceful to try though.[cl

Back in the early 80's I have done it. But alot of things fell into place to make it happen. I dug the file out of this truck.

I picked up a 1948 Ford pickup for $500.00. This truck was setting in a barn sense 1959. It needed every little body work and the floors and the front fenders were in good shape with was not common for those trucks. ( The bed from this truck is being used for my Model T rat) Made a wooden bed like the factory bed.

At the same time my uncle had a 1971 Ford that would not pass inspection (rusted frame) so he gave it to me. The car had a 351W/C4 trans, with 75000 miles on it. I used the Motor, Trans, wiring, Steering Column, Trans mount, driveshaft and some other odds and ends from that car. also used the sheet metal for patch panels

The items I had to buy were.

U-Pull-It lots
1971 9 inch ford truck rear $35.00
79 T bird seats $25.00
69 Mustang steering box $25.00

NEW;
Motor Mounts $65.00
Front cab patch panels $55.00
outlaw II rims $150.00
Tires $175.00
Wood for bed $120.00
Brakes/hardware $150.00
Shocks $100.00
Paint S/W indust. Lacquer $35.00
Windshield rubber $35.00
Rear window rubber $25.00
Side windows channels $85.00
Body filler/Materials $60.00
Shackle kits $45.00
Axle U bolts $20.00
U Joints $30.00

Machine Work
Drive shaft $85.00

Misc. $175.00

Others free
Primer Lacquer
Lacquer thinnner

Total $2440.00

If would not have been for the free car or I would have upgraded the suspension I could not have done it. That was in the early 80's Today it would not be possible.

impossible

I have to say that the $3000 is impossible if you are buying parts and even reselling unless you bought a near finished vehicle that you had to spend some money on to get it running. Now my build could stay around that due to the fact that I know a lot of people that I can trade parts with or get paid in parts. Still money sorta involved. On top of that I married into donor trucks. So far my truck was 1200 plus 300 for a rearend. Free engine and auto tranny. Free rims. Free seats I could go on with free stuff but if I had to buy all the stuff then I would be well over the mark. I do have an added question. Do you to include upgrades to the build price if the vehicle is in running conditon and you are driving it but you want to change to disc brakes, new valve covers or so on?

Opps.

Forgot the Intake, Barb, air cleaner and Valve covers. $330.00

That would make the total $2770.00

And of course the 1/2 Keg for the gas tank. It was full when we got it so we had to empty it.

I wonder how much I spent on gas driving 20MPH down the country back roads looking for a project? I covered a pretty huge territory... and there's still more out there. I'll bet I spent at least $100-$150 over about a 2 or 3 month period driving around just looking. I don't mind the gas at all though. I love riding through the country looking for stuff... It's kind of like treasure hunting.

Some of these things are kind of priceless though. Can you put a price on the knowledge gained through a build? What would classes cost for welding vs. buying your certified buddy a twelve pack and having him teach you? Some of this stuff is spent on knowledge that will hopefully SAVE us money down the road. Take all the driving around for instance. Now I know where a lot of good tin is and I don't have to drive around next time, and I met some great people along the way.

right now in my rat cost is 250
i should have it on the road for less then a grand

rat rod truck for under $2000

I've read another forum's $3000 build thread and thought to myself that it would be near impossible to do, unless a person were to take a worthy pick up cab and drop it on a running S-10 chassis. I noticed in another thread here that others may not believe that it's possible either.

I'm building a little Model A based project and almost have $1000 into it without building the motor or buying a body. I've paid for each part excluding the motor, which was given to me. My goal from the start has been to keep it under $4000 and lately I think I'm being unrealistic.

Not to rain on their parade, but is it possible to really build a car for under $3k these days without inheriting a pile of parts (not that it's bad--free parts are good parts.)? Have any of you done it within the last 5 years? Gimme some hope!

Just looking for something to talk about.

I am currently building a 50 ford pickup and I hope to have mine built for under $2000.00 but it has involed some horsetrading and free parts. It is a 50 ford f3 cab and front end mounted on and 83 s-10 chassis with a 350/350 combo.
I paid 400 dollars for the truck and traded the flathead six for the s-10 with a blown engine. I bought the engine and transmission that came out of a 84 chevy truck from a friend that has a garage in my home town , I paid $400.00 for the pair. I paid $65.00 for a drive shaft out of a chevy caprice station wagon that was the exact length I needed...got it at a salvage. I bought some good used tires mounted on slotted mags 10" on the back and 6" on the front for $100.00 from my next door neighbor. One of my brothers gave me a steering column and the bed and I bought one rear fender at a swapmeet
for 40 dollars I still need one more fender,wiring, glass, and exhaust and then will be good to go. I only have about $1000.00 dollars in it so far. I hope to have it on the road this summer

I've read that $3000.00 stuff before , I thought I could do it . Then as things went along I moved up to 5k then 7k , well i'm way over that and it still has'nt stopped . So i've decided to get what I want as I can afford it , and quit keeping a total , I find it easier to sleep like that ! Money takes the fun out of it :eek:

Roofus is a long ways away from being a running driving car, but it should be well under the $3000 mark.

We paid $1000 for a really good donor car (LOTS of cool parts are salvaged)....everything else is recycled JUNK.

Tires may be the most expensive new parts we buy.

$3000 no and yes

I purchased my project 40 ford sedan with a s10 frame 2 yrs ago for $1500, 79 z28 sbc motor/tran for $1800, another decklid for $100, all garnish for $150,2 gals por15 for $200,valve covers,alt,oil pan,2x4tunnel ram,misc bolts,steel for floor $400 combined, wheels/tires$200, volvo leather interior $50,homemade interior $50,New headlite buckets,tail lites, headliner,rear air ride$500 ...OUCH $5750 and I still need glass,exhaust,dash guages..., Yea I'll hit hit $6500 mark easily.

After spending mucho dollars on the first car...., my second will be much cheaper....I'll have a little more patience and have used numerous sites,ebay,craiglist,swap meets to acquire the parts. I even bought stuff to resell just to get a few pcs I needed.

But my second car the 38 ford sedan is less...
The body w doors and decklid $300 after picking it up
the hood , two rear fenders, one extra front fender from "ford barn" $250 after i retreive them.
Floor material leftover from first build $50 worth.
92 s10 chassis will be free after sale of rustfree sheet metal, running 2.8 and 5speed. I'll be ahead +$$$+ after sale of wheels and tires.
Steel wheels and some www firestones from local yard $75
Another sbc 350 w rams and th400 $350 worth after some horsetrading,
You pull it parts:
seats$20,alt$10,starter $10,$ 15 booster,new master $40
I'll use the garnish from the 40, I chose not to use, windshield frame and glass another $500 Exhaust about $200. maybe I'll complete it at $2000.

I sold 3 toyota trucks in less than a year to be able to do this all of which i bought ,built and drove. I still wrench on anything, but wish I would have enough sense to get into hotrods instead of 4x4s.

Like I said I did years ago. But now

My 1940 Ford tudor Sedan . Paid $3000.00 just for the car. It was a rust free, So far front and rear suspension $1300.00, Rear $100.00, 302 Ford Engine Free, C4 trans $150.00. Still have a lot tro do to it.

My 1927 Model T pickup. Model A box Frame $100.00 Steel to finish frame. $55.00, Cab $700 with title, Ford N9 Tractor radiator $150.00, 1934 International grille. $75.00, 289 Ford Motor $150.00, 4 Speed toploader trans $250.00, 9 inch bronco rear $75.00, Mustang Steering box $40.00, Front axle and suspension, $240.00, Rear springs $45.00 Aluminum Slot rear wheels $200.00 Front running wheels with tires $100.00 Most of the parts are used. I still need a lot to finish it.

Doesn't look like either one will come in under $3000.

Oh Yea the 1/2 keg in the refig. for the gas tank Still need to empty it.

I believe the most economical way to build is with the purchase of an unfinished project. I've got about 3 in my truck, and I purchased it as a bunch of parts for 2800. It's got no frills but has a rebuilt 4.3 and 350 turbo. Zero work farmed out it's vry reliable and drives great. So I believe it can be done.

But then is that 'really' an under $3k build when the original owner probably put more into it than that?
On the road for under 3 maybe but built from start to finish..no !!!!

very cheap

i bought my cowl for 100.00 back half for 25.00 5 doors for 200.00 grill for 15.00 complete wishobone w/ axle for 35.00 and 300.00 for steel (frame replaced all wood with steel and 2 4x8 sheets for 18ga and i had motor from another project....some people wont look in backyards and in the woods for diamonds they would rather look on the fancy thinkin box and have it shipped to the door and then put in on [ddd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back