using moPar steering box for side cowl steering?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaky box

Doing it now. Have to replace all the seals because I'm flipping the box upside down to cowl steer out the left side. Just cut a plate out of 1/4" and used the old frame as a template. I'llget some pics together as I finish it up this week.

Kurt

New seals

My box came off a pug nose van. I replaced the steering shaft seal, when you separate the column from the box (with a sawzall) that seal was rock hard. Went to an industrial/ hydrolic supply place and had them Match one up.

I'll be using a speedway coupler to put the shortend shaft back together.

Kurt

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but how does side-cowl steering compare to other steering box alternatives? I think it looks very cool but wonder if some sacrifice is made in terms of steering accuracy? I would not want to be scared ****less doing 100+ mph if my car decided to wander around. I think rack and pinion might be the most precise method but there is no cool factor there. Is side-cowl any better or worse than the usual recirculating ball steering that a lot of factory cars (and trucks) use? Thanks.

Randy

steering is only as good as parts used. example: I'm not using the orginal tie rod ends - off 31 Ply. ford are even sloppier, using tie rod ends off B body MoPar (new). Rack don't look right on older style rods, maybe ok for a full fendered car with a mustang II /nove front end. no play in them if done right with new tie rod ends. What are you building? My 66 Charger with a built 383/ 4 speed 4:10 rear gears has the same gear box I'm using in my 31 Plymouth coupe. Don't know if I answered you question or not- I ramble alot![cl

Not building anything yet, just collecting ideas. I think what I might build is a rod based on a Buick straight 8 and a 1930-1940's pickup body with a small short bed. I like the "Indy" look of cowl steering and suppose it would not be much different than steering using a pitman arm. Suspension would be half elliptical or quarter elliptical springs most likely.

Randy

i used a a-body box on my build,drives great too.trucks been well over a hundred more then once[ddd

Latest posts

Back