Weekend Progress Anyone?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2008_0901box0002.jpg

Grandson Zach (Zacho on RRR) took his '38 GMC apart today, with the help of a friend. Tomorrow is the start of his senior year in high school.

Very nice work DMW. How are the eyes? You know putting a spotlight on what you are welding is beneficial even when looking thru a mask ;)

Careful with the eyes DMW! That bad ass truck of yours won't do you any good if you can't see to drive it!!! I'm really glad your ok buddy! I made some progress on the 51 today. See my "51 F-1" thread.

Thunder1

Yeah, the eyes are doing fine thanks guys. You'd think after doing that several times I'd learn. I guess it was being lazy and stubborn. A light on your work improves visibility imensely. Id id go out and buy really nice Miller Digital Elite Welding Helmet with 3 mode settings and darkness settings from 3-13.

Finally took the time to get some small parts put on momma's truck that we picked up the beginning of the month.

Attachments

• HPIM2711 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2711 (Medium).JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM2712 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2712 (Medium).JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM2710 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2710 (Medium).JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 10
Replacing the Lokar shift knob with one of her choice.

Attachments

• HPIM2713 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2713 (Medium).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2715 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2715 (Medium).JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM2716 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2716 (Medium).JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 3
  • HPIM2717 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2717 (Medium).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM2719 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2719 (Medium).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 13
The stock '47 taillights weren't bright enough for momma's liking so a conversion to LEDs were in order. Gutting the housing entails just removing one screw (which also is the ground for the LED) & snipping the wires.

Attachments

• HPIM2720 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2720 (Medium).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM2721 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2721 (Medium).JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM2722 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2722 (Medium).JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM2723 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2723 (Medium).JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM2724 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2724 (Medium).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1
Was going to use a set of conduits for the wiring but, dummy here tore them up, spitting the casing on the 1st one I put on. Green plastic wire covering works just fine. Added connectors to wiring like I should have when I 1st wired the truck.

Attachments

• HPIM2725 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2725 (Medium).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM2729 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2729 (Medium).JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 3
  • HPIM2728 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2728 (Medium).JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM2727 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2727 (Medium).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM2726 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM2726 (Medium).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
Didnt get to much done, but i did get all of the seats and carpet out of the plymouth. Next weekend will be to get out the rest crap off the floors. Have to scrape some stuff off of the floors that was under the carpet and then i can see what the real damage is to the floors. So far instead of the entire flooring rusted out, looks to be just where the front seat was.

i had a great weekend, got the radiator mounted, most of the mototr wired, put lights in the front of the exhaust tips,(so they light up blue at night) fixed all the leaks, (oil pan, steering box, trans pan) this week finish painting the front fenders and doors and ill be ready to drive that baby.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 40
it rained all day on saturday so I decided to clean the shop , was going to throw out an old sway bar but I decided to cut it up and make a nerf bar out of it.

Attachments

• IM000889.JPG
    IM000889.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IM000888.JPG
    IM000888.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 16
I just posted this in my build thread:

Well , I didn't get a whole lot done this weekend on the truck. Did a little wiring, made a bracket for the throttle cable and kickdown, finished mounting the fuel tank and ammo boxes. While I was under the truck I noticed the clearance between the panhardbard and rearend was only about an inch. It settled a couple of inches with everthing on it. I'm going to go backwards here again. I need to remove the bed and raise the mount up a couple of inches more. I think I have room to go almost 3" more.

Plus it rained all night and this morning I discovered a leak in the roof. The paint is stained, bubbled and dripping in a couple spots in the family room. Crap! So I've spent most of the day crawling around the attic trying to find where it's leaking and on the roof with a bucket of tar filling every crack and hole I can find. Man I hate home repairs!

Needless to say I didn't get it running this weekend and next weekend we're going to CO. Well maybe it's a good thing to take a break. But I sure wish it was drivable not much time left before the snow!

Great fab job 24, Banjoman your truck is lookin' good.

I replaced hubcap clips and finished coating the frame. I had a hubcap lying around that I turned into a goofy looking air cleaner top, probably won't use it but it was something to do.

Keep up the good work guys.

Attachments

• coatedframe.jpg
    coatedframe.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 16
  • cleanertop.jpg
    cleanertop.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 24
24, VERY nice nerf bar.
CD, Your whole chassis looks just great! I've tried different items for air cleaner tops and they have always looked like what they were; an iten that belonged someplace else. Yours looks darn good though. With the grippers trimmed off it would look even better.

We did zero! :eek: Dan and I are both feeling the same way.........we are just in that little zone where you can't face looking at your project for a while. Since he and I are both working long hours now the weekends are for catching up on sleep, cleaning the house, and doing laundry for the next week.:eek::eek: I think we are also burned out spending so much money on them, and it feels good to be putting some back into our bank accounts instead of cleaning them out.

It's kind of a shame too, because the last couple of weeks have been pleasantly cool down here, time we should be enjoying working on our cars. It's no fun when it's 95 in the shop with 100% humidity, so the Fall and Winter months are our favorites. I think once we take a little breather we will be ready to get back on them again, especially after we go to Turkey Run and come home with some new parts to play with. :D

Don

Nice work guys. A rain day Saturday, worked on the rock crawler, had to pull the transfer case and tighten up the adapter, darn thing worked loose through the locktight.
Also picked up a Cj7 jeep basket case project. someone tore it down to do a frame off and then it set in a million pieces. The guy threw in an extra engine, and tranny too. Not sure what I'll do with it yet but the money was right, and I couldn't pass it up.

24dodge - The nerf bar looks great. Really good thinking.

dmw56 - The truck looks better almost daily it seems.

c-dog - The chassis looks awesome , anfd I think the hubcap aircleaner looks good too if you can hide the mounting tabs.

Don - Get off your butt and do something :D.

I changed the battered 5 quart oil pan and pick-up tube in my brothers 64 Vette to a new 4 quart pan and pick-up on Saturday Today, me and him started running new fuel lines in it today. Gotta get him ready For Daytona next month.

I started assembly on my Hemi and got this far. Go to my Hemi build thread for details.

Latest posts

Back