Welding on a custom frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAT IHC

I have a 2x4x 3/16 frame that I've tacked together. My question is would it be better to "lay" the frame rails on my frame table, clamp it down and do all the welding? Or should I "stand" them up, tack in the crossmembers then do all the welding?

I'm thinking if I lay the pieces down I can get better weld penetration.

any suggestions are welcome.

As long as everything is clamped down, and allowed to cool beore it is taken out, you should be okay. I usually don't put alot of heat in any one area as I am building a frame.

I have a 2x4x 3/16 frame that I've tacked together. My question is would it be better to "lay" the frame rails on my frame table, clamp it down and do all the welding? Or should I "stand" them up, tack in the crossmembers then do all the welding?

I'm thinking if I lay the pieces down I can get better weld penetration.

any suggestions are welcome.

do it the way you feel the penetration would be better for sure.

We clamp it to the table and tack it up then weld it on one side. Then let it cool while clamped down. Flip it over clamp weld cool. Then lay the second rail over top of the first and repeat. Be sure to let all cool while it is clamped to the bench, don't get in a hurry and also bevel all the edges and leave a small gap (about .030") between the parts and you will get full penetration.

Thanks for the input

Here is a visual of what I'm dealing with. I'm going to keep it clamped together on the frame table and start welding tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 123
We like to do it like RPM, some people can overhead weld just fine, but we feel more comfortable welding down into the joint. Just don't rush it before you unclamp it, as Ron mentioned.

Your setup looks great, will make a nice strong frame.:) Looks like you are working with some pretty good equipment too, and a nice table.

Don

Thanks for the advise and words of encouragement! I've been following all of your builds and have gained a lot of knowledge from them. I'll keep my build updated so please chim in if you see something askew or have input or suggestions. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate any and all input.:D

Last edited:
If you take the frame out, always continue to measure while you work, that way if someting does go wrong, your not completley done when you find it.

I can weld all position mig but anything I do other than flat with the stick looks ugly. sometimes it comes out nice though so i know it isnt impossible

Thanks for the advise Anglianut! I started welding last night and got about half way done without having to unclamp anything. I'm moving around a lot plus giving it time to cool down before starting the next weld. Should be done tonight or Saturday morning.

Trochmann I'm with Don on the welding flat down into the join. My skills are not that advance when it comes to welding with a mig upside down and such. The weld puddle tends to run on me.

A funny note...when I got to my shop last night after work it was 42 degress in the shop so I had to trun my heater on for about two hours before it was warm enough to start welding...i was there till 1am working!

So I got the frame rails welded together and I'll start getting the crossmembers in place this week then start mounting my suspension. I'll continue that stuff on my build thread. Here are a few pictures of the welds. Looks like I got good penetration welds.[;)[;) Let me know what you think.

I also smashed one of my fingers while moving the frame around...see if you can tell which one it is.:eek:

Attachments

• IMG00073.jpg
    IMG00073.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG00074.jpg
    IMG00074.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG00075.jpg
    IMG00075.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0142[1].jpg
    IMG_0142[1].jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 86
Those joints look as good as any pro could do. As for the finger, you have to sacrifice a little blood and pain to the hot rod Gods or it isn't official. :D

Don

I don't think I'll use any fish plates. There will be gussets and crossmembers and such. In my cobweb filled head I seem to remember the old guy that tought me how to weld (I think I was 15 at the time) saying something about only adding fish plates on repair welds or welds that intersect other welds. I think he said something about fish plates should only be thought of as protecting welds against cracks not as adding strength to the weld joint and to use gussets to add strenght if needed. I'm sure one of the pro welders here can approve or decline those statements. [;)[;)[;)

Don I tell you what...I'm second thinking this build if I have to endure anymore blood and/or pain sacrifices to the hot rod Gods. [S :D

hell thats not much of a mark on your finger .i know a guy from another place .that had a nice photo of a small burn he got welding:D yep welds look good [;)

Thanks for the confirmation guys!:D It's nice to know that I have peers here that can chim in and give me a thumbs up or thumbs down. I really do welcome it and appreciate it. It's the main reason for being on this forum.

Pat: A welded finger sure beats my smashed finger, but it's all about perspective. :)

RAT IHC, I seldom use fish plates. You are right in my opinion that a gusset is more effective. On a 2" by 4" frame, the "C" or "Z", has over 12 inches of weld. If the pieces are bevelled and you have a good fit and are a decent welder, it ain't gonna break.

I'm guessing some builders use lots of gussets, etc. because it follows a build theme of solidness and creates more visual interest.

Most of the rectangular tubing frames guys build for their 2,300 pound hot rods are heavier than the stock "C" channel frame in my '40 Plmouth pickup.

Latest posts

Back