went to the doctor yesterday

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26Troadster

says i need to have my left knee replaced, man that is just what i needed to hear. he's telling me i would be off work for a month. i going to put this off as long as i can, i have already been trying to get off the pain meds as they don't seem to work no more.

26, My Dad had his knee replaced a couple of years ago, when he was 87. He was up and walking the next day, with a walker of course. It took maybe two weeks to get back to normal. My time's coming. Just do what they tell you and you'll be good to go real quick. Good luck.

Dont wait. What wears out til then will help you recover. And while you never know how long the replacement will last, you may as well get the new one now while you can use it. You might not be able to walk in 15 years for another reason, OR you may not be here at all. Git R done! My sister got both done within 6 months and said the pain after ONE DAY was less than before the surgery. Start working on building up the thigh muscles well before the surgery. Those muscles will help your recovery speed too.
I've had my meniscus repaired/cleaned up twice and evidently that leaves scar tissue that makes replacement recovery harder. When I have to go back to the orthopaedist for knee probs again, I'll be looking into getting it done sooner than later.
My 2 cents. Good luck.

A few coworkers have had knee replacements . My times a comin'. They say go with a full replacement over a partial or youll be back for the other half anyhow.

26 my dad is 76 his right knee gave him problems for years-it got so bad he could barley walk more than a few steps at a time. He got the replacement last year and the next day he was walking better than he had in years. Yea it took him alittle while to fully recover-but he is 76- now he gets out every day and walks-pain free. So don't put it off-you'll be amazed how much better you'll feel.

i'll be 52 in march, the arthritis is doing the damage. the new knee will not cut the bone to put in a new hinged joint, this one will grind the corners off the bones and put a set of pads in place of the cartilage. still not something i want to do nor all the missed time from work i really can't afford.

26T, Check out other options before going with a replacement. Over five years ago I was in the place your in right now. Told I need to get a total knee replacement. The surgeon was the same guy that worked on me from my motorcycle accident in the mid 70's, later did a couple of clean ups and finally declared it ka-put. But as he said, keep in mind a replacement has a life expectancy of 17 years in ideal conditions, a whole lot shorter if your work, or play for that matter requires you to get up and down repeatedly, kneeling, etc. (Being a mechanic, that's exactly what I do.) Instead we tried a cortisone injection first, that did nothing for me, no pain relief at all. Tried the Synovial Fluid injections next. A series of three injections done a week apart. The first time it lasted about 9 1/2 months. No pain at all, the crunching was gone, it stopped catching and hanging up, I was doing quite well. I went with it a second time after a month or so of increasing discomfort. This time was just a successful, only a lot longer, 3 1/2 years this time, will be 4 this April. Synovial fluid is a compound our bodies make naturally in the joints. As we get older the amount made decreases to the point where there isn't enough to lubricate the sliding parts of the joint any longer. If you go with a replacement and wear it out in three years, you can only repeat the process one more time. And that will be what you get to live with for the rest of your days. Synovial injections don't come with a guarantee, but the success rate is pretty darn good. If nothing else at least check it out, it may buy you some time.

Just go get it done, then you will be saying "I should have done this a long time ago"
I had the shots, didn't notice any difference. They have knees now with replaceable wear plates.
Hold off until late 50s or so if you can, then you shouldn't need another one.
BTW, the only thing holding me back is paying for it but I have learned how not to abuse mine and get by pretty good. Once in a while I over do it and then have to give it a day or two rest. Carrying stuff is the hardest thing on mine. Let the young guys do the heavy carrying.

Finally starting to get back to normal.....

Doc just told me that I might need a knee replacement in 5 or 6 years...:eek: Says it's healing good but that I'm no spring chicken...Wow...you think!!! Anyway, my sister in law just had her knee done and she is so glad...the initial discomfort she said was pretty bad but she is up and doing physical therapy and says other than the scar area, there is no knee pain per se..... so she is sorry she didn't have done a year ago when they told her to ........I have a Reserve Police Officer here that had his done and he is glad he did....so I'd do it..... wonder if I should have done that rather than the arthoscopic crap I had done.....[S

i'm not going to make any moves till after the new year. i had the scope done two years ago, it just never really got better, stays swollen with a ache all the time. but wouldn't you know, it has not hurt all day today.[S

I had a side loader brace about 10 years ago when I got the injections. It was a PITA, guaranteed for ever and I destroyed one in about 4 months. I finally quit using it and use a pretty heavy compression sleeve when I am on my feet a lot. It really helps.

I feel your pain! Literally... My replacement surgery is scheduled for
12/10/2012.

I've been dreading it and putting it off for 2 years but when it starts
Effecting your life style what you want to do, it's time.

Good luck,
POPS

My buddy, who is 74, just saw his doctor because his knee was bothering him. The doctor said he would give him 2 choices. 1 medical choice and the 2nd, his recommendation. First, he said he could give him an injection every 3 months to mask the pain or,,,,,,,Second, his opinion was, do nothing. Injection would hide the pain, which would allow him to damage the knee, which would need replacement. By doing nothing, the pain may subside and the knee could repair itself. He said the first sign of pain is warning you to stop what you are doing.

ok...I'm gonna share something here that will probably

make you think I'm crazy..... after my last visit to the doctor, I was talking to one of the old farmers out here....told him what happened and how the thing was talking forever to heal...and couldn't sleep at night from the pain of rolling over in bed.....etc..etc...he said "I can fix it"....of course I said how and he said run down to the farm and home store and get yourself some absorbine horse linament....comes in a kind of orange colored bottle....go home tonight and put a heating pad or hot water bottle on your knee for about 10 or 15 minutes...rub in a generous amount of the linament and do this every night before you go to bed...[S...I asked him what it was supposed to do...he said "you'll see"..... so....I went and got a bottle from the farm and home store....they had about 10 different brands but got the absorbine.....read the label.....nothing that seemed any different than most of the over the counter cold / heat stuff out there other than two ingrediants...it also stated it was a topical antiseptic as well for minor cuts and abrasions.... I wrapped my leg in the heating pad and waited for about 15 minutes....I rubbed a lot of this stuff onto and around my knee.....put on some pj bottoms...(not used to that) and laid down....never one bit of pain all night....woke up the next morning ....no ache....been doing it every night since and healing so much better....even the pain from getting into and out of the car is gone....told the Physical Therapist and he thought it was a great idea but said he is prohibited from suggesting it....:eek:... so went to the doctor last Monday....he said...looks great...nice and tight in joint, ligament seems tighter and the swelling is gone in the joint...told him I quit taking celebrex .....he said are you taking ibprophen....nope....not taking anything....except...the horse linament....he said What?? I told him and he was actually not surprised...said could work, might be psycogical but if it's working....keep doing it....Said....what would you think of me if I told you to use horse linament?? I said I'd think you were crazy...he shook his head but told me to keep it up...it was working....so there you have my story.....true....but very strange....anybody else use this stuff????

Which two ingredients, Sarge? I'll try anything once...

Both my knees are shot. I've been putting off surgery 'cuz it sounds like a woodworking project. (Long story. Not your average replacement job).

going to have to check the bottle again...

Which two ingredients, Sarge? I'll try anything once...

Both my knees are shot. I've been putting off surgery 'cuz it sounds like a woodworking project. (Long story. Not your average replacement job).

I think one of the ingrediants was a form of aloe vera extract but the other one escapes me right now....I'll get back to you asap.....no kidding...this stuff has helped a ton.....don't think it's in my mind....

Latest posts

Back