When someone wants to borrow something

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Misfit

I tell you... I get no respect!
Whats the best way to say no,when someone wants to borrow something? I try to get along with everybody but I dont like loaning out my tools +car trailer +stuff like that.I tell people no I make my living with my tools+I prefer to not loan stuff. They get mad anyway. What do you guys do?

When I was in the business it was just a flat no. And no explanation should be required, although we usually feel compelled to give one.
How's this "I can loan you the tool but I go with it and my time is worth money." Trailer is just a straight up no to all but my closest friends. I "gave" half interest in my good trailers to my best friend so I can say I only own half and we have an agreement to not loan it.

Or you might try the shame method, "Oh my god, you want to borrow my tools? How about my wife, want to "borrow" her too?

Only your very best friends would ever cross the line to ask and anyone else that stupid should just get a good trouncing for asking.

any of those answers help?

I've had success with telling them I'll loan something to them, but have to have a deposit in case it doesn't come back. They say how much, and I'll say a price about twice what it would cost to replace it, say $200 for a $100 item.

After they look at me in shock :eek:, I tell them that Advance and O Reilly's rent stuff a little cheaper.

Most just leave, some want to tell me how crazy I am, others stomp off cussin' up a blue streak. [ddd

I don't loan them out...period...

Most of what they want to borrow are specialty tools...they can get them from Autozone and some of the others.....otherwise, I tell them they need to do what I've done all my life...buy them so I've got them....never had anyone get mad....at least not in front of me..most say they understand.....Tools are expensive...besides, if they want my help I'll gladly help them...far easier for me to help them do something than loan out the tools and have them either break or lose it.....I'd get a sign for your garage door..... "I don't loan Tools don't ask".... I've got a sign on the door that's a parody to Got Milk....says "Got Tools?" "they better not be mine"....:D

the only folks that would think to ask me for tools are my buddies
and i have an engraved in stone rule for them.
if you need it once.
it is my pleasure to loan it to you.
if you need it twice.
buy your own.
i am sure to tell them that and have never had a problem.

I always say my mom said I can't, they usually don't know what to say after that but in my experience you'll never see those tools again if you do.

Zipper

I'll lend anything to anybody. Most if my stuff is so old and crappy nobody wants to borrow it anyway.

I'm like everyone else in the respect that I like to be a nice guy, but loaning tools or money are never a good idea. I have lent things like my utility trailer to a friend who was moving and it came back with a bent tongue and missing spare tire holder. The old saying is "Do not a borrower or lender be" and that is really good advice. I don't borrow things from anyone and I mostly say no when someone wants to borrow things from me.

There is no faster way to ruin a friendship than to lend someone money, a car, or tools.

Don

I've used the same reasons as been stated, said no so many times I don't get asked anymore. Used to say no to the tool loan but would add that I'll do the job for X amount and they get the vehicle/item back when paid for. Only ever had a couple of people take me up on it. Saying no gets easier the more times you do it.

most of the time they want to barrow they want me too, i work on my own stuff, but the wife's car goes to a buddy of mine who has a repair garage. i hate working on anybody else's stuff, and will not loan out my tools because they don't find their way home. i have had so called buddies come to my house wanting to work on their junk in my yard and i had to put a stop to that too.

Oh yeah, that is another pitfall, people think because you play with old cars you are a mechanic and they want you to repair their daily drivers for them. I don't mind helping a close friend out, but I honestly and not the greatest when it comes to mechanical repairs..........I am more of a fabricator than mechanic. I even take my own daily driver to a garage when things are needed a lot of times because I hate working on repairing broken stuff.

My Son Don has gotten into the trap of fixing his friends cars a couple of times but now he says no because it has bitten him a few times. Once you touch someones car you own it forever, and anything else that ever goes wrong is your fault.

Don

Latest posts

Back