Where are gas prices going again ?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Man, gas was at $ 3.23 for regular and the next day it was $ 3.31. Next morning it was $ 3.49, and tonight it was $ 3.69. Our gas stations won't even post Premium prices any more, just regular, and everything I own runs on Premium. :eek::mad:

What is causing it to jump that much that fast ? Did we bomb the middle east or something I missed ??

Don

Last edited:
Oh, I screwed up, I should have put a 3 in front instead of a 2. :eek: It was at a low of 3.23 and is now $ 3.69. Sorry for that error. My amazement is that all of that happened in 4 days.

I went back and edited my mistake.

Don

I heard a couple refineries went down for maintence and now we are getting more expensive crude from Canada. But everytime they give an excuse it goes up another dime.

I'm looking at some more fuel efficient cars, that is for sure, high on my list is the new mazda diesel that is coming.... even with diesel 20-75c a gallon more than regular fuel, the mileage is supposed to be in the 50mpg range, but we will see what the EPA says when they get rated in the Mazda 6, and CX-5

I want an electric car, it would be perfect for the kind of driving I do. The most I drive is about 10 miles a day and I one would have the range I would need. The only problem is, they are so darned expensive that it would take a lifetime to get back the price in the gas savings.

No kidding, I am actually thinking of building or converting some car to electric power, and have been doing some light research on the net about how to do it.

I would get a motor bike, but with the crazy drivers around here it would end up being a bad idea, I'm sure.

Don

I'm looking at some more fuel efficient cars, that is for sure, high on my list is the new mazda diesel that is coming.... even with diesel 20-75c a gallon more than regular fuel, the mileage is supposed to be in the 50mpg range, but we will see what the EPA says when they get rated in the Mazda 6, and CX-5

Be careful!! That's a " is the juice worth the squeeze?" question. While the 50 mpg is very attractive - How long will it take to recoup the investment of the new car ? Back in 08 when gas shot up a friend of mine decided to trade in his 4runner that got 17 mpg for an econo box that got 35 mpg. I told him he was crazy. After putting pen to paper and figuring the real cost of doubling his mileage, it was going to take him 6 years to recover from the purchase of the new car.

I'd like to convert a car to run on CNG. Kits are about $1500. Depending on your area, CNG stations are easy to come by or next to impossible. If you really want to get serious you can buy a home filling station that runs off your house gas line.

In Houston its 1/2 the price of gasoline. In other places even cheaper.

I think a big ol' full size would be a good candiate - plenty of room in the trunk for CNG tanks and converting a carbureted car is much easier.

That is the problem. I guess if a person really put a lot of miles on a year he could recoup the cost of the new car pretty fast, but with me only driving about 9-10 miles a day at most, it would take forever to save enough to make it worthwhile. Right now I spend about $100 a month on gas.

Another problem with electric or hybrid cars is when something goes wrong it REALLY goes wrong. I bet repairs on one of those babies, or even maintenance, is super costly. And batteries only have a certain life expectancy, and lithiums can't be all the cheap.

So the oil barons have us by the short hairs no matter how you slice it. :mad:

Don

Good God Don,
if you're only driving 10 miles a day a pair of roller blades would be best.
Just don't mention flamed speedos as an accessory.:D

I looked into building an elec car just for fun. My main issue with it is the danger of electrocuting yourself on 15 batteries wired together. From what I have read that is more than enough amps to kill yourself.

How many times have we accidentally shorted a hot wire/terminal using a wrench or something else metal? Scary when its only 1 battery...you'd be thrown across the room if it was a massive electric car battery pack, or maybe just welded permanently to the car !![;)

I know people play with these things all the time, I just don't trust myself.

Gee....I'm pretty sure before the prior inauguration (2008) gas was still around $2.00-2.50 a gallon. And gas isn't the only thing

Not really sure I like the "change" being shoved down our throats

OK SORRY....I'm coming down off my soap box :D

Don, If you're only driving 10 miles a day your gas bill isn't very significant. Makes it hard to justify any change.

I now plan my errand runs, etc., better and have reduced my annual miles driven by about 25%.

Latest posts

Back