1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah.. been slacking.. I was a little burned out on it.. still kinda am.. i should be done and driving this thing by now, and yet there is still so much to do..

i feel you on that one, i am constantly hammering away on mine, but feel like i may be going backwards in likes for the truck. have contemplated selling or trading for something else :(

i see, didnt know that.

That's what I have read anyway... Lots of good info on the stovebolt.com for the old Chevys and GMC's but as far as I can tell no one has done this combo i am attempting to do

That's a nice upgrade. Anything to make your ride safer is a great investment.

If you're looking for bigger sizes, Speedway also sells some wheel shells.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wheel-Shells,218.html

Yeah I hope it works out otherwise I will be scrambling to find more of these rims.... Dang those speedway shells are cheap... Mine were $110 a piece plus shipping to bad they don't have what I need which 20" blanks

Yeah.. been slacking.. I was a little burned out on it.. still kinda am.. i should be done and driving this thing by now, and yet there is still so much to do..

i feel you on that one, i am constantly hammering away on mine, but feel like i may be going backwards in likes for the truck. have contemplated selling or trading for something else :(

keep at it man.. thats what i keep telling myself.. when its done and you can stand back and be proud of what you built it will be worth it.. i hope.. haha

Man that's sick the daully wheels is a new twist,I love that cab already before a chop it looks hella cool nice work keep it up!

Thanks man...

Little bit of progress to report...
13d6f39c.jpg

Im pleased with the fit... just need to come up with a good fixture to keep it all lined up nice and then weld it in.. or and then do the other one.. arggggg

2394257e.jpg

Im pleased with the fit... just need to come up with a good fixture to keep it all lined up nice and then weld it in.. or and then do the other one.. arggggg

Very nice!

Do you have a spare hub laying around? I would use that as a welding fixture. Fix the hub to the mill's table and set your backspacing. Bolt the center of the rim to the hub and drop the shell on it. Run a dial indicator (attached to the mill's head) on the edge of the shell and the face of the rim to make sure everything is square. Clamp the shell down to the table and weld away! [;)

Good luck bud! :)

thanks guys.... like everything else on this truck it is taking longer than i expected.. but oh well...

Nope dont have a spare hub... In theory it should self center when the mounting flange and the rim center is held parallel due to the snug fit on center...i have a few ideas how to fixture it.. but man I think I would aggravate the old guys in the tool room if i used the rotary table as a weld fixture.. lotta knowledge there wouldnt want to burn any bridges..

Very nice!

Do you have a spare hub laying around? I would use that as a welding fixture. Fix the hub to the mill's table and set your backspacing. Bolt the center of the rim to the hub and drop the shell on it. Run a dial indicator (attached to the mill's head) on the edge of the shell and the face of the rim to make sure everything is square. Clamp the shell down to the table and weld away! [;)

Good luck bud! :)

This is exactly how iused to make my racing wheels. The one thing you have to watch is when you weld them. Small welds side to side, or the heat will pull them off center! I'm sure you know this, just a reminder.

coker wheel blanks

Thanks for the info on who made the blanks. Good idea too! this is what I think I need to do on my 50 GMC. I will have to see if my centers are under 16" and will fit on my lathe.....[P

awesome build

Corpo, I just joined and saw your truck build; I have a 34 Chev 1.5 and though I don't have near the skills you've shown in your truck's photos, I do appreciate all the info you've provided on your thread. Thanks man!
Gards

Thanks for the info on who made the blanks. Good idea too! this is what I think I need to do on my 50 GMC. I will have to see if my centers are under 16" and will fit on my lathe.....[P

No prob man, the coker blanks seem to be good quality not cheep though

Corpo, I just joined and saw your truck build; I have a 34 Chev 1.5 and though I don't have near the skills you've shown in your truck's photos, I do appreciate all the info you've provided on your thread. Thanks man!
Gards

Anytime man, let me know if you need any additional information, your 34 is a different beast.. that still has mechanical brakes! Ar you wanting to build yours as a big truck? Only crazy people think thats a good idea.. haha

man oh man..... what a task this has been...

I made this...this allowed me to center up the rim center to the outside, notice the screws on the side...
9210eb69.jpg

lots of clamps..
494e4ebe.jpg

tacked them in a sequence... let it cool and then flipped it over to tack the back...

303aa6c4.jpg

put it on the hub and checked run out... one was good first time.. i cut the tacks on one of the rims and did it again...

u can see my weld sequence.. basically the front and back of the "spokes" are welded it equates to a little over 5 feet of weld
b2666565.jpg

1 done.. hopefully get the second one fully welded in tomorrow.. and then probably never attempt this again.. although.. in this process i think I have come up with a much easier way to do it.. so i guess if i could find some more rims like these two.... i might try it again
a3335f27.jpg

I have also been working on my cowl steering.. hopefully have that sorted out soon

Wheels look great! [cl

Doing it right always seems the longest and hardest way, but it’s all worth it in the end.

Interested to see how you do your cowl steering, I’m working on that right now myself. [S

thanks everyone for the support.. I appreciate it...

I did get the other front rim welded up... so glad I am done with that

been tinkering on the cowl steering... I think it is going to end up being more complicated then i initially hoped.. but hoping to get it ironed out this week..

I didnt get alot accomplished this weekend.. but I did finally take the truck off the stands and air it out.. which I hadent done since I built the bed..

so heres a few shots for fun..
d2254ce4.jpg

you can see the tailgate I built in this one.. still need to be finished...
d9ab3966.jpg

I had concerns wit the clearance to the bedsides.. but it worked out allright
ce67843f.jpg

Latest posts

Back