1942 Chevy Pick-up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorkChopMFMC

Here is the start pictures. 1942 Chevy . The donor is a 1978 Chevy Scottsdale. I hope to have it driving by spring. The floor needs a lot of work so I plan to do a body drop of about 3-6". out of 14 gauge and 2x2 tube. I am going to get it ready to roll before I strip the 78. I have most of my thoughts on paper so maybe it should go smooth at the start. I plan also to move the cab back between 8-12" and also box the frame. But I will have to tear it down first.

Attachments

• 100_0210.jpg
    100_0210.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0212.jpg
    100_0212.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_0176.jpg
    100_0176.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 44
New shop name for Trinity Alabama. TETANUS CHOP SHOP I will have it on the doors of my rat rod . Being that I am PorkChop . I have a few that call me Chop or PC . I think my shots are up to date??

Last edited:
R U gonna use the 78 frame? or are you just going to swap out the axles and stuff. I am currently putting a 53 chevy onto a 1987 chevy s-10 4x4 frame.

Pablo

The frame is a little rough under where the cab sits But I should be able to box it in and build it back up . I am thinking about going with a mono-leaf front -end . It will all depend on how much it will cost to replace all the bushings in the front springs . Right now I am building the floor in the truck about 2" below the bottom door hinges . I hope to have it off the frame by Wendsday of next week .

i hear mid 60's mustang radiators are a good choice.. but i dont know for sure.. i havent gotten that far in my project

I run a 65 mustang rad. on my truck, I got it from AutoZone for around $120.00 , works real well. But I am only running a 4.3 hoped up a bit. I've got it inside a 32 grill shell lot of extra room. But all in all I would recommend it.

I finally got the bed off . I now have it moved into the shop . I have a little of the floor done now . I may have to replace some of the frame . I will have cut 9" off of the cab once I get it braced up . I had to do a little posing also . It will look even better with about 4" out of the top also .

Attachments

• 100_0311.jpg
    100_0311.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_0310.jpg
    100_0310.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_0309-1.jpg
    100_0309-1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 75
I've used 3 row Mustang radiators from '64-'65 models with small block Chevy engines. There has been no cooling problems. They are in hot rods that do not have hoods so engine heat escapes easily. Looks like there will be plenty of new sheet metal added to make up for what nature has taken away.
One project, a '25 Dodge coupe was so rusty around the bottom that when it sat on the floor it would "squish' out of shape. I built a framework and hung the body from the ceiling. Then I squared the doors in the openings and tack welded them shut. After that I was able to build inner and outer rocker panels and a sub frame and keep everything pretty square.
I like the body style of your cab. Good luck with the project.

42 Chevy

I now have the floor framing done. It is 8" higher now. I also have most of the flaking paint leveled out . It is now time to start on the frame. I may still z the frame . The 2nd picture is about what I want to do to the rear . I move the cab back about 12" also

Attachments

• 100_0407.jpg
    100_0407.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 60
  • rear end.jpg
    rear end.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 67
The frame is a little rough under where the cab sits But I should be able to box it in and build it back up . I am thinking about going with a mono-leaf front -end . It will all depend on how much it will cost to replace all the bushings in the front springs . Right now I am building the floor in the truck about 2" below the bottom door hinges . I hope to have it off the frame by Wendsday of next week .

I have a couple of axles and such if you need them. Let me know!

I have the cab off . I have to drag it to the carwash to get most of the old grease and cake off. I am now thinking about putting the radiator in the rear . I have found a couple of builds like that . I have a couple large radiators I could use It would also clean the front up even more

Latest posts

Back