1960 Comet build...planning stages still. Lets get this sorted, shall we?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaryVoodooGirl

Here she is. She's already been named "Mrs Valdez" after Harley's band's song of the same name (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3YZroMscbQ)

Anyways, here's the basics. For now, I want to keep the engine stock. Straight 6. 3 on the tree transmission, that sort of deal. Key for now is to get her on the road ASAP. Literally all that will take is a new fuel tank, a brake rod and a flush of the system. Then she's good to go. SO....the looks.

I know I want to slam her and put skirts on her...nice low and cruisy. Thinking shave her down, black her out except the top...dark red flake? Wide whitewalls...and the obligatory mexican blankets. haha

The interior itself is in great condition, a few minor things here and there but that's the point of a rat...fix em as you can afford them.

thoughts? suggestions?? if someone knows how to work photoshop I can grab a better photo of it this week and they could mock it up??

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

and Harley's pride. "The Voodoo Doll"
harleycar.jpg

semi-drunken bantering and three way skype with Harley and Tank (drummer) = name change for the car. Already. The name does suit it better now though with the plans for looks.

Ordered new fuel tank and delivery, as well as brake rod. Going with a 16 gallon tank to replace the 14 gallon. Oddly enough, this is exciting!

Sounds like you already have a plan! First thing I would do is get rid of the
mirrors! Also there's a lot of black out there, might think od doing another flat color! Keep us posted on progress and good luck!![P

I agree on the black...I've been tossing around the idea of maybe a gun metal grey? something still darker in color, but would need to go with the red/black interior. And, because she will undoubtedly be at many a show with the boys, should have that mean look to her still. Still a ways from any sort of paint yet. Want to get her back up and running first. I have no problem even just flat white for a while with sealed rust...so many decisions! but color will be a final...see how I feel once I spend some actual time working on the car first I reckon.

Two tone
flat dark red sides below chrome and flat gun metal gray top above chrome. Didn't have gray marker :)
Tattoo name on the side to cut some of the red. Just a suggestion [S

1960CometMedium.jpg

I like the idea of a two tone...but I think I take it a little further...base it in a deep red, go over with charcoal/dark grey...hand sand it down so some of the red pokes through in spots and then matte it over?!

It's a 4door. Cruiser! Drop it as low as it'll go. I'd probably move the mirrors farther forward, but keep 'em. Leave the patina above the trim and gunmetal gray below. polish the chrome - I like lots a chrome. Lakes pipes.

Nice Comet

I restored a 1960 falcon back in 2006.It was real early car.Actually built in October 1959.
I completely rebuilt underside.Replaced all suspension,steering,etc,with new stuff.Even painted whole underside gloss black.Cut one coil out of front springs before installing them to give it the rake.
I know restoration is not your goal here,but you may find some suspension pieces hard to get if you need any,but just keep looking,someone has it.
There was one suspension piece on my car that I could not find until,by chance,I found out that 1959 full sized cars used same piece.Go figure,must have been using leftovers.:confused:
My brother painted it 2 toned,just shiney.
Here is picture.Sure wish I had kept my Falcon.:(
The little 6cylinder would be great now with high Gasoline prices.

Attachments

• user16484_pic11762_1323148704.jpg
    user16484_pic11762_1323148704.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
She's definitely going to be a low cruiser...can't imagine it any other way really...and can't believe I didn't think of lake pipes!!!
The springs on the comet are in great condition, think we'll probably just cut them to slam it.
I'm not completely sold on the fender mirrors. I could always take em off, mock them up further to the front and see how I like them, and then make the decision after that...wouldn't take that long. Definitely going to polish/replace all the chrome, I think it's an eye catcher for sure, especially as a nice little frame around those tail lights.

Keep the suggestions coming! As soon as she's in my garage it'll be balls to the walls, head down and work!

Very cool ride! Brings back memories. Me and the wife had a 61 Comet 4 door we were puttin together when we lived in California. Bought some property in New Mexico so before we moved all of our stuff there,we had to kinda "lighten up our load". So we decided to sell it. I might still have some stuff left over from that project.Beauty rings,maybe some interior/exterior parts. PM me if your interested. I'll start diggin around the garage ta see what I got. Good luck on your project.

sent you a pm stripnut! thanks!

I can't wait to get started on this build. Going to be parking the daily driver outside and moving her into my garage.. will be a bit close with the Monte Carlo, but we can always wheel one or the other outside for the day while we work. She gets towed here early next week and then the build begins! Stoked to have friends/clients who want to help on the build and get paid in tattoo time. Little to no money out of pocket for me. I've never been so excited to trade away so many hours of tattoo time! haha

Ditch those ugly square trailer mirrors altogether. They are killing that car right now! The Hub Garage picture you posted is a good look. I would definitely NOT put lake pipes on it. The era is wrong, and they won't flow with the car. I like the exhaust hidden, but if you wanted to do a exterior pipe I would go with bellflowers. They would suit the car much better. Also PLEASE don't do a sanded through fake patina paintjob. Why work so hard to make the car look half-assed? If you want a 60's custom look it definitely needs nice paint. Maybe some metalflake or lace panels. The Boerne Customs '61 Falcon Wagon is a nice example...

1184904165_E4Eds-M.jpg

1184912982_CFFnt-M.jpg

207552_1993816007783_1314927530_2331934_4799333_n.jpg

1184926914_ZfED4-M.jpg

^that car is killer...but I like matted down rides....something about them...y'know? Maybe just a two tone with dark red where the orange is on the model..hell I dunno...so many options. Each time I think I'm set I change my mind again. One thing for certain, I know I want her low and skirted...at least that's easy to figure. I want to keep it not super classy...just a bit trashy...(like me haha) so alot of people will want to ask me "When's it going to be finished?!" and I can tell them it is.

Trust me, you won't want them asking that after the 5,623rd time you've heard it. ;) A nicely finished satin paint job would be fine and still suit the car. Just don't do the sanded through thing. It's pretty "poser" and certainly not trashy in a good way. Haha...

definitely want to avoid the poser aspect. I mean really, this is my first attempt at anything like this...when I was with the ex we had fancy cars, but he'd buy them off the auction lot and I'd get to drive em haha. Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it. I'm sure I'll change my mind 100 more times and get 100 more suggestions by the time it comes time to paint haha. Cheers!

I think Buick had the right idea with two tone in 1960...
Whatever your color choice, I think it would look slick with the top, and back area to the fins in a different color.

60_Buick_LeSabre_DV-05_Castleview_04.jpg

my knowledge when it comes to mechanics is slim to none. Actually, all my knowledge can fit here:
IMG_29541.jpg

So I'm hoping that by working on this car with the people who know what they're doing I'll be able to figure it out...but!

I know someone selling a 327 "bored out" (whatever the hell that means) with wiring etc etc.....would this be something I should consider dropping in? I'm about as green as they come when it comes to that type of stuff. I can make a car look pretty though. Er I mean...tough...pretty tough.

Latest posts

Back