1960 Comet build...planning stages still. Lets get this sorted, shall we?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll definately get a lot of mixed opinions on here, for instance I couldn't disagree more with BED, I think lake pipes would look great on this, and being period correct is whatever that is to you!!
In other words, do it the way you want, thats the only way you'll be truely happy with it!! JMO!!

yeah, I can't get the image of lake pipes under this car out of my head. I think it'll look killer. And in the end, you're right....this is going to be my car. So away we go!

Stripnut has offered me some parts he had laying around, and I'm taking him up on the offer (once we figure out shipping costs), the fuel tank and brake rod are on order and I'm looking for replacement lights and chrome as we speak. Kind of all over at the moment, but this weekend I hope to give the car a thorough once over and get a list of everything sorted. Waiting game = laaaaame.

That's ok, some people think lake pipes look good on PT Cruisers too. Yeah, we all have different opinions. :D

Regardless, the cart is way before the horse with all this talk of paintjobs and awkwardly placed accessories. It's gotta whoa and go safely before anything else. Everyone WILL agree on that. As far as the engine swap, I would wait given your current skill set. I thought you wanted to keep it fairly stock? What do you actually know about the drivetrain in the car now? Known issues? Has it been sitting? There are a lot of variables there that are making it hard to advise actions. You're going to need to go through the mechanical aspects of this car COMPLETELY - engine, transmission, clutch, u-joints, rear differential, wheel bearings & hubs, tires, all brake components and electrical before you even take it out of the driveway. I know it's exciting to have your first car, but these are things to focus on. Paint and pretty is way down the list...

That's ok, some people think lake pipes look good on PT Cruisers too. Yeah, we all have different opinions. :D

Regardless, the cart is way before the horse with all this talk of paintjobs and awkwardly placed accessories. It's gotta whoa and go safely before anything else. Everyone WILL agree on that. As far as the engine swap, I would wait given your current skill set. I thought you wanted to keep it fairly stock? What do you actually know about the drivetrain in the car now? Known issues? Has it been sitting? There are a lot of variables there that are making it hard to advise actions. You're going to need to go through the mechanical aspects of this car COMPLETELY - engine, transmission, clutch, u-joints, rear differential, wheel bearings & hubs, tires, all brake components and electrical before you even take it out of the driveway. I know it's exciting to have your first car, but these are things to focus on. Paint and pretty is way down the list...

hahaha agreed! My little brother (who's about a foot taller than I am) is a heavy duty mechanic, so we're going to go over it with a fine toothed comb when it gets here, but I brought him with me to look at the car and he said there shouldn't be too much to do in terms of getting it a.o.k for safety. Of course, his idea of "too much to do" and mine are probably way off. The car hasn't been sitting that long, and with the exception of the last month, has been inside the entire time.

I like to get way ahead of myself and plan things out in advance...and then throw those plans out the window and just go with the flow.

Picked up the car today!!!
Notching this out and making it a bottle opener. uh...bottled water...with uh..pop tops.
IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

In the garage less than 10 minutes and little brother started taking apart the engine and giving it a once over
IMG_3010.jpg

tore out the back seat already...
IMG_3013.jpg

STOKED!
IMG_3014.jpg

Little broham not as stoked:
IMG_3015.jpg

back to the garage to work on stripping more stuff!

One thing I noticed...the headliner is in FANTASTIC condition. Not a tear on it....I know I know...who cares...but it sure is pretty.

cool to do with family

its cool you got your bro involved and he is wanting to help, i was always the outcast in my family and was always doing things different from their standards, they all wanted new, i wanted the older stuff that i fixed up. nice seeing family work being done together.

definitely keeping the engine for now...for a number of reasons. I'm nowhere near ready to start swapping out stuff, (bits and pieces sure, a whole engine? not so much) and I kinda like the look of it. well, once it's cleaned up.

I'm going to be keeping the 13 inch tires...with the right rim/tire combo and this think lowered and skirted it'll look just right I think.

Still working on cleaning out the car and coming up with a list of things needed. Not too bad so far. This thing could feasibly be running in a few weeks. (knock on wood)

Been reading all day, we're going to drop it using 2 (or 3) inch blocks on the back, take out one leaf per spring per side and then pick up some 3 inch lowering springs for the front. While this is all getting done I'll be replacing the muffler, splitting the exhaust after it and mocking up the pipes. Going to go with lake pipes and removable caps for noise control if needed. I'll also be preping/painting alot of the underside of this car. Even though you'll never really see it.

First things first though...tonight we're stripping, sanding and cleaning...woooo party time.

got the carpet/underlay all torn up and the interior pretty much gutted...pumped to say everything is solid! Still waiting on the fuel tank and sending unit though. Going to either rebuild or replace the carb in the next few days here and as soon as the fuel tank is in we're going to get the engine up and running and go from there!

Thats gonna be a cool ride SVG ! 13"rims,trim rings,with dog dish caps ! All I gotta say is "coooool maaaaan real coooool !

Looks like you are off to a good start!!! I think I would go with a 16-17" steely wheel with baby moon hub caps my self but other than that I like it!!!

I found myself getting a little to fancy with the car...and getting away from what I really wanted in the first place. So, unsurprisingly, plans have changed...and will actually save me $$$/tattoo time haha. The car is still going to be lowered 2-3 inches both front and back, still going to be skirted and with stock 13s...but instead of lake pipes we're going to go straight exhaust out the back, possibly with a glass pack for sound and a bit of back pressure. Really, this car is going to get a HUGE 90HP outta the inline 6 (whoa! haha) and I feel lake pipes would be a bit misleading haha. If ever I drop a small block in it then I'll add pipes then. Going to go low and slow for now. Time and current budget are suggesting that's a better option right now anyways.

And we're two toning the car. When I was working on it a few nights ago I forgot how rad the patina on the roof looks. So dark grey on the bottom, white on the top sealed. both matte finish.

Found out one of my clients is a welder/body tech by trade (who knew?! haha) and he's going to cut and patch the one spot of rust too big to fill and when the time comes we'll paint the car at his shop[;)[;)[;) ....paying him in beer and tattoo time haha

Still no news yet on when my fuel tank is getting here...at a stand still really with everything else. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself without firing it up first. Really, this car is going to be my driver anyways, but if time/$$ needs to be put in the engine etc rather than looks at the moment, that's what I'll wait for.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
did that! we have life!!!! everything sounds/looks good. Transmission is sound, going to look at replacing the clutch...doesn't *need* it, but it could only benefit from a new setup. STILL waiting for fuel tank, carb etc, lame. BUT! the rings, rearview and wiper arms came in the mail today from stripnut! Eventually they'll get on the car

Latest posts

Back