276 hemi?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Desoto 276 or baby Desoto Hemi is a good motor, I own two of them. But lets take a look at your deal. Desoto Hemi's have almost nothing as far as parts changeablity with either the Dodge Red Rams or the bigger Chrysler 331,354 or 392. While all three of these engines are true Hemi's they just don't share much in common with each other. And almost no parts interchange. Your are buying a 276ci Hemi thats needs a rebuild less the heads which are done. So you are in fact buying a 276 Core motor. Don't know what condition the Turbo is in but a used Turbo 350 is also a core and worth around $100 to maybe a $150. So you are going to have around a grand in a hemi core. Don't sound to good but to tell you the truth thats not a bad price, its not a screaming deal by any means but its not to bad. Now you also should be getting the adapter for the turbo 350 to hook up to the Desoto those bring around $375 or so from Hot Heads, so the deal looks a little better.

Now you need to know you are dealing with an engine that is 55 or so years old. parts are not going to be cheap like a small block chevy and as a matter of fact you are buying one of the most expensive motors out there to rebuild. A basic rebuild kit with pistons runs a min of $1,300 to $1,500. Thats the same kit you can get almost anywhere for a Small Block Chevy for $300 bucks. Then theres the machine work. You are going to have 3 or 4 grand into the motor at LEAST by the time your done.

The early Hemi's are "STOCK" low on HP your 276 no matter the year 52,53 or 54 put out 160HP from the factory, they are little torque monsters though and there is plenty of room to make some decent HP but its not going to be cheap. As a matter of fact cheap and Hemi's are real hard to use in the same sentence.

Thats the deal on a early Hemi, theres almost no easy to find speed equipment and when you do find some who ever has it thinks its made out of Gold. Cams good luck there you almost have to have your's reground, Hot Heads does have some Desoto stuff but its pricy.

Hemis are not easy or cheap no matter how you get one. But thats the bad news. The good news is I think they are worth what ever hell you have to go through. There is no other motor in my opinion that even comes close. My little Model A has a 291 Desoto Hemi in it and I wouldn't trade it or the price for any other motor I know. Its a Hemi thing!! Good luck on your choice.

Roland

Yeah--Roland pretty much said it all.

You better REALLY want one..

I've got a 331/354 Chrysler project, and Its been about the most 'difficult' project I've done.. Money mainly--its bad spendy, and there just ain't nothing cheep on them. I know a guy with a 'just OK' hemi that has $10 K in it..

Think about it before you jump..

PA41

The Desoto 276 or baby Desoto Hemi is a good motor, I own two of them. But lets take a look at your deal. Desoto Hemi's have almost nothing as far as parts changeablity with either the Dodge Red Rams or the bigger Chrysler 331,354 or 392. While all three of these engines are true Hemi's they just don't share much in common with each other. And almost no parts interchange. Your are buying a 276ci Hemi thats needs a rebuild less the heads which are done. So you are in fact buying a 276 Core motor. Don't know what condition the Turbo is in but a used Turbo 350 is also a core and worth around $100 to maybe a $150. So you are going to have around a grand in a hemi core. Don't sound to good but to tell you the truth thats not a bad price, its not a screaming deal by any means but its not to bad. Now you also should be getting the adapter for the turbo 350 to hook up to the Desoto those bring around $375 or so from Hot Heads, so the deal looks a little better.

Now you need to know you are dealing with an engine that is 55 or so years old. parts are not going to be cheap like a small block chevy and as a matter of fact you are buying one of the most expensive motors out there to rebuild. A basic rebuild kit with pistons runs a min of $1,300 to $1,500. Thats the same kit you can get almost anywhere for a Small Block Chevy for $300 bucks. Then theres the machine work. You are going to have 3 or 4 grand into the motor at LEAST by the time your done.

The early Hemi's are "STOCK" low on HP your 276 no matter the year 52,53 or 54 put out 160HP from the factory, they are little torque monsters though and there is plenty of room to make some decent HP but its not going to be cheap. As a matter of fact cheap and Hemi's are real hard to use in the same sentence.

Thats the deal on a early Hemi, theres almost no easy to find speed equipment and when you do find some who ever has it thinks its made out of Gold. Cams good luck there you almost have to have your's reground, Hot Heads does have some Desoto stuff but its pricy.

Hemis are not easy or cheap no matter how you get one. But thats the bad news. The good news is I think they are worth what ever hell you have to go through. There is no other motor in my opinion that even comes close. My little Model A has a 291 Desoto Hemi in it and I wouldn't trade it or the price for any other motor I know. Its a Hemi thing!! Good luck on your choice.

Roland

Ronald
I don't know the difference because I'm Hemi Dumb BUT mine is a 55 270 Super Red Ram I paid 1,500 for it and the shop told me 1,500 to rebuild it
Same as metal doctor my heads are good, but I MAY have to use the stock Tranny that came with it. I have a Borg Warner M11 Aluminum Auto BUT I have found no adapter made for this combo. All this is for my 73 DJ 5 pro street Jeep I'm throwing together any hints on this thing?

thanks

thanks guys for the info on this. i planed on it taking awhile to build. i havent got the motor yet i think it would be a badd ass motor to have tho. it just seems like the perfect rat motor.for the next project.I'll keep in touch on this motor.:cool:

51Cards, Yea man you have the middle Dodge Hemi there is a smaller one and it is the smallest at 241 CI. Your 270 is a good motor and it does have potential, but just don't think that you can go out and buy stuff for it like you can a Ford or Chevy. Hot Heads has a ton of stuff for these little motors

http://www.hothemiheads.com/

There also is Vintage Speed and they can help some with the induction system.

http://www.vintagespeed.com/

To be honest with you I personally don't see anyway your guy can build this motor for $1,500. But if you think you can trust him get it in writing and be sure both of you are on board with the quality of parts and the machine work. Another words cross all of your "T" and dot all of your "I's", be sure you and he understand the whole deal before you turn the Hemi over to him.

I build on my own about three or four Early Hemi's a year. I have to farm out my machine work but all of the rest of the labor is mine and I furnish all of the parts. And I only wish I could build one for $1,500.

Your little Dodge has some advantages to it is well. These are good and strong motors and building some more HP into one is not too bad. They only made an advertised 170HP from the factory and that was with only 7.6 compression ratio. Get your compression up a few points and there is some HP just waiting to be used., All of the early Hemis can and need more Cam, problem is no body makes cams for them any more. So you are in need of a "GOOD" cam regrinder. Here once again Hot Heads is hard to beat pricy but good work and they know what they are doing. Just check around there is plenty of information out there.

Now as to your tranny thing. While the Dodge 270 inch motor and its little cousin the 241 are the lightest of all the Hemis at 580 lbs that dumb cast iron 2 speed slush box tranny weighed at least 350 or maybe even 400 lbs. Ditch it, it robs and steals a ton of HP and its not worth much. There are adapters out there to install a TF 727 or any of the Turbo chevy,s or the 700r4, you also can use a ford tranny. There also are adapters for severeal of the stick boxes as well.

With a Hemi an Early Hemi you have to go back in time kinda and build this motor like they did in the 50,s and 60,s milled heads, log manifolds, reground cams and a lot of stuff is all there is for one of these motors, but you are going to have to think out side of the box. Man thats the cool part, you got to think your way around these motors. no calling up Jegs or Summit and getting the newest fangdangled part shipped out UPS for next day delivery. Its Hot Rodding 101 not just parts swapping-- its not for everyone but for those of us who love these old motors its the best.

Besides for a Early Hemi to be cool and I mean real cool all it needs to do is set on a engine stand in your shop for everyone to see. Try that with a Ford or Chevy motor.

Roland

Attachments

• 7cae_3 (Small).jpg
    7cae_3 (Small).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 118840287fQGsph_th.jpg
    118840287fQGsph_th.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1fa1g41353n93pf3l28b37f0df36fa3dc1cd4.jpg
    1fa1g41353n93pf3l28b37f0df36fa3dc1cd4.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 20
Gastrick, you know man I'm glad you said that, it is the one thing in my posts on this thread that I didn't say and should have.

Absolutly what Gastrick said--- If it was a little closer to me I would buy it in a heartbeat.

But Gastrick don't need it his already got one of the coolest looking 392 hemis on the planet.

Roland

Latest posts

Back