31 b front axle, need brakes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plymouth rat

hi, i have a 31 model B axle with model a spindles, i need brakes, i cant find disc brake conversions for that year, they start at 37 and up, will 37 spindles fit on my 31 b axle, or any juice brakes fit on my 31 spindles, im building a 39 plymouth pickup rat, chopped ,channeled and low, thanks jeff

BTW Jeff, the model B wasn't till 1932. The 31's were all Model A's.

Don

Correct, and I wouldn't use the Model A spindles, even with the "adapter kit". They are much weaker than a '37-'48 spindle, plus they have awkward steering arms and just plain look ugly.

Do yourself a favor and get a set of '37-48 Ford spindles. They will bolt right on to your Model A axle (if that is what you have), or any other Ford axle from '28-'48 for that matter. You will then be MUCH safer and your brake possibilities will be much greater...

I agree with B.E.D, the later spindles are so much better in all respects. Even better are some of the new forged reproductions. Better tolerances and they are not 70 years old like the originals. But even the originals are fine too.

Don

You need to know that the spacing of the holes to bolt the backing plate for the later hyd. brakes is different from you A spindles, or any of the spindles from '36 on back. the easiest way to put hyd. brakes on your A is to get the spindles amd brakes from a '40 to '48.

Ron

Latest posts

Back