1959 GMC Fleetside

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got caught up on the build. That is super top shelf work sir. Looks so very cool. (I all of the sudden feel more cramped in my '58 :D.) Absolutely love that grill. Keep it up! 🍻

Years ago I built a 54 Dodge pickup. I built it with a front subframe with independent suspension, lowered the rear suspension by moving and replacing the leaf springs and shackles, then I cut the firewall, installed a V8, installed a modern 60/40 split bench seat with a fold down arm rest and 3 point seat belts, and even modified the dash. The paint color, and the tires and wheels were not stock either.
I entered a car show 40 miles from home in the modified truck class. The show officials came up to me and insisted I entered the wrong class, it should be in the stock truck class. I explained all the things that were not stock, and the officials walked away.
At the awards ceremony, they awarded me 2nd place in the stock truck class! There were several really nice original trucks there that should have gotten that trophy.
I knew the guy that ran the music trailer, he was the guy that counted the votes. He told me that he too pointed out the non-stock parts on my truck to the show officials. He told me to take the trophy, his opinion was if it was done well enough the officials still thought it was original after being told differently, I had succeeded with my work. he said that not many guys can make a modified truck look factory stock. I took the trophy, but it just didn't seem right to me. I never went back to that show.

I suppose, looking back, the music guy was right. If we can modify something so well it looks like it was a factory job, we have done very well. Our job it to make that hard work look easy, or original.

Years ago I built a 54 Dodge pickup. I built it with a front subframe with independent suspension, lowered the rear suspension by moving and replacing the leaf springs and shackles, then I cut the firewall, installed a V8, installed a modern 60/40 split bench seat with a fold down arm rest and 3 point seat belts, and even modified the dash. The paint color, and the tires and wheels were not stock either.
I entered a car show 40 miles from home in the modified truck class. The show officials came up to me and insisted I entered the wrong class, it should be in the stock truck class. I explained all the things that were not stock, and the officials walked away.
At the awards ceremony, they awarded me 2nd place in the stock truck class! There were several really nice original trucks there that should have gotten that trophy.
I knew the guy that ran the music trailer, he was the guy that counted the votes. He told me that he too pointed out the non-stock parts on my truck to the show officials. He told me to take the trophy, his opinion was if it was done well enough the officials still thought it was original after being told differently, I had succeeded with my work. he said that not many guys can make a modified truck look factory stock. I took the trophy, but it just didn't seem right to me. I never went back to that show.

I suppose, looking back, the music guy was right. If we can modify something so well it looks like it was a factory job, we have done very well. Our job it to make that hard work look easy, or original.
Thanks and a cool story Gene , I would have liked to have seen that truck.

Thanks and a cool story Gene , I would have liked to have seen that truck.
Picture 036.jpg
Picture 037.jpg
Picture 038.jpg
All 3 pictures were taken the same day. The way the light hit it changed the shade of the custom mixed implement paint. The center picture is the correct shade. These are the only pictures I have left of the truck from when I sold it nearly 20 years ago.

Gene, your music guy did have a good point. Making things look 'factory' is an art form. Be proud of your artistry.
I have spent weeks making something and then even more time making it look like I never touched it. Quite a few guys on here have that talent.
Keep on tinkering.

Thanks Bob, been watching your builds on Rat Rods for Africa, great gut that Div. Have a Lekka One.
Glen, that's my favorite You Tube show. He's a creative builder and a cool guy. I saw yours featured there too. In a recent episode he bought a Fiat. I have one of those too. When he bought the Fiat there was an Austin next to it. I have an Anglia which looks a lot like the Austin. He might be my long lost brother. You have a Lekka One too.

Gene, Cool Dodge truck. Or is it three trucks? haha
Its got to be those rounded body panels that reflect the color so differently. I've noticed my current 49 appears to be a different shade of the same color of blue if the sun shines or doesn't shine on it as well.
Didn't intend to hijack this thread.

Latest posts

Back