'51 f1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think the rear end might be a dana 60? I guess the 44 and 60 look a lot a like in '79

Well I picked up a complete 9 inch rear end over the weekend. Now I got to save up for rims,rear leaf springs, and the frame metal!!!

All most have all the pieces to this puzzle.[cl

Well today my brother in law and my self got some work done on the truck. We pulled the motor, which was my first ever motor pull. Pretty cool/not to hard of a process. Took us about 3 hours from start to finish. We didn't have a engine hoist so we used a com-a-long to do the lifting. It was attached to a big tree branch. All in all successful!! now the f250 will be headed to the scrap yard for some money! Going to order the rims and metal for the frame once the truck is scraped. Haven't found out what year the motor is yet. Real dirty and I couldn't see the numbers stamped on the back of the motor. I will post what year the motor is when I find out.

Attachments

• ENGINE PULL1.jpg
    ENGINE PULL1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 53
  • enginepull5.jpg
    enginepull5.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 47
  • enginepull6.jpg
    enginepull6.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 46
  • enginepull7.jpg
    enginepull7.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 50
  • enginepull2.jpg
    enginepull2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 53
UGH! I am too late. I was going to contact you about buying that grill shell! I need one for my 79. Oh well. Keep up the good work on the project!

Wow..Been along time since I've seen anybody pull a motor like THAT..that Xcab 4x4 carcass would have brought $1500 here without the motor and tranny,well before it got hacked..

Found some numbers on this motor tonight. I'm going to work on finding out the info on this motor. I couldn't find a number on the heads. Think it might be covered in dirt/grim.

Attachments

• Block Number.jpg
    Block Number.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 12
  • Intake number.jpg
    Intake number.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Number on Trans.jpg
    Number on Trans.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 9
  • vALVE cOVER NUMBER.jpg
    vALVE cOVER NUMBER.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 9
Engine hanging from a tree branch?? SCARY. I know it was your first engine pull, so consider yourself lucky. Do yourself a favor, use some of your scrap money and invest in an engine hoist before you try moving that engine again. They are cheap at HF and well worth your life or limb. Too many people have been hurt or killed trying stuff like that.

Also, isn't it easier to just unbolt a bumper rather than hack it in half twice just to get an engine out?

I got access to a engine hoist. Thats what I plan on using to get the motor off the trailer. Just didn't have it the other day. Sawing the bumper is pretty fast. The truck is going to the scrap yard soon so it didn't matter to me if we hacked it all up. Plus it was pretty fun! The tree was a oak tree and that branch is 14 inches in diameter. It would hold a lot more weight then that motor. But I know what your saying...freak accidents do happen.

I got access to a engine hoist. Thats what I plan on using to get the motor off the trailer. Just didn't have it the other day. Sawing the bumper is pretty fast. The truck is going to the scrap yard soon so it didn't matter to me if we hacked it all up. Plus it was pretty fun! The tree was a oak tree and that branch is 14 inches in diameter. It would hold a lot more weight then that motor. But I know what your saying...freak accidents do happen.

I'd be taking all kinds of parts off that beast for your project before you scrap it unless you have other donor vehicles or plan on just buying everything new..think pedal assy,steering column,maybe master cylinder..donor vehicle is priceless on a build like this just for all the little misc stuff you never think about..

Tim

The body of the truck is straight, but rusted really bad. Drip rails,bottom of the door panels and the front of the bed are all in ruff shape. I didn't think about the pedal assembly. I plan on using the steering column,pedals:),complete motor/Trans and I think that's about it. I already have a manual steering box i'm going to use so the steering box for this truck will get scraped or sold. The interior is pretty ruff also. It was a mud truck and used pretty hard. I will sell the dana 60 rear end and the rims and tires to try and make some money back.

Thanks for the pointers. Any other things I would need to save? I plan on running new wires,hose,cables for that kinds stuff.

Just don't want to go through the hassle of parting out the whole truck. I know I won't make as much in the long run but I need to get some money to start the frame and then I can save some as the project moves forward.

I'd be taking all kinds of parts off that beast for your project before you scrap it unless you have other donor vehicles or plan on just buying everything new..think pedal assy,steering column,maybe master cylinder..donor vehicle is priceless on a build like this just for all the little misc stuff you never think about..

Tim

Like Tim said get as much as you can of the other truck, On both my fords I graped every thing I could use down to controls wiring ligths. the tin of the roof. think a bout what you will need before you (crush the caddy clyde:rolleyes:)

Well I have been getting some stuff done and gathered for the build. I'm in the process of trying to set up the front axle. I'm stuck on what to do. I got a full axle kit from RPM. I was wondering if there are any threads on here that show the full set up start to finish? The part I'm stuck on is if the "race" (not really sure what it is called) is suppose to be presses on or should just fit really snug. I tried tapping it on with a piece of wood. It didn't go all the way. Any advice?

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 13
  • question2.jpg
    question2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 13
  • question3.jpg
    question3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Well I have been getting some stuff done and gathered for the build. I'm in the process of trying to set up the front axle. I'm stuck on what to do. I got a full axle kit from RPM. I was wondering if there are any threads on here that show the full set up start to finish? The part I'm stuck on is if the "race" (not really sure what it is called) is suppose to be presses on or should just fit really snug. I tried tapping it on with a piece of wood. It didn't go all the way. Any advice?

I used my little propane torch and heated it up and it slid right on the spindle :)

Well got them on with a piece of tube and hammer! didn't mess up the adapter. really happy about that. Now trying to figure out the breaks. It seems like the mounting plate for the calipers is pretty close to the rotor. Also I think I might have to notch the spindle for the break caliper.

Attachments

• question5.jpg
    question5.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 19
  • question6.jpg
    question6.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 22
  • question4.jpg
    question4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 19
Well got them on with a piece of tube and hammer! didn't mess up the adapter. really happy about that. Now trying to figure out the breaks. It seems like the mounting plate for the calipers is pretty close to the rotor. Also I think I might have to notch the spindle for the break caliper.

You sure you have the bolts going the right way?

You sure you have the bolts going the right way?

No not really. lol but I dont think that changes how close the bracket is to the rotor. Just to me when trying to fit the caliper and pads with the steering arm it doesn't all fit. Just kinda wondering if there is a example some where I can look at.

No not really. lol but I dont think that changes how close the bracket is to the rotor. Just to me when trying to fit the caliper and pads with the steering arm it doesn't all fit. Just kinda wondering if there is a example some where I can look at.

Just checked and I can put the bolts the other way.

Latest posts

Back