54 chevy chop top

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curbside tx

hey everyone i am wanting 2 chop tha top on my 54 chevy truck n i was told i would need like 2 more roofs to do it n i dont no because iv never done it b4 so if anyone has some pointers thanks alot

Tex Smith has a book on top chops, and he shows a chevy truck chop.
You don't need extra tops. If you ever do a VW Bug you need extra tops as well as a sanity check. Bug chops drive me to the excedrin

Don't think you need 2 extras!

It might help to have an extra top but be sure to check out Tex Smith's top chop book, I think he does one. I'd also search Amazon for other books on the same subject.

Tex Smith's book on Amazon

Toad

thanks im gunna check that out n yea i thought it was weird that i needed other tops n i was gunna build a rat bug and chop tha top now im glad i sold it lol thanks

I chopped the top on my buddies 47 and a second top is helpful because the front and rear halves moved apart about 3" on a 4" chop. With only one top you would have to weld in a strip. With a second top you can cut them to overlap. I did not widen the roof, I angled the posts and spread the rear posts where I cut them at the body line. I did make a relief cut about 3/4 of the way up in the curve at the rear corner on each side.

Depending on the the make and model you may need to add a little or take a little out. Stare at it long and hard and really plan it out. Then, just start chopping. You'll figure it out. You can add your own sheet metal and go to town with a dolly and hammer. That's what I did.

... by the way. I'm really ADD so run-on sentences are really hard for me to read.

Latest posts

Back