54 Chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I grabbed a bucket of water and started wet sanding.320 grit all the way to 1000. Keeping the top dark like it was baked, showing a little red primer and then down to the grey primer on the bottom where the sun would have a harder time doing damage.

This was a costly mistake. This is the first windshield that I busted. As noted a few pages back I called in the pros to put the second one in.

I was having a hard time finding the headlight buckets that bolt to the fender. One place was talking 40 buck each. That's okay if it was stock but I was going to french the headlights anyway. I can fab something up.

I made the ring so the headlight bucket could be mounted to the fender. In case you didn't know there are two buckets per side. One that bolts to the fender and the one the headlight sits in. The fender bucket was what I was missing. The ring takes care of that.

I put the stock ring to the fender, like I have done many times but I just wasn't digging it. I pulled out the early Ford/Merc headlight bezels and tried them. I like it. I know most of you don't like custom stuff but these trucks are a dime a dozen. I want it to stand out just a tad.

The bolts were welded to the body. That way the plate I made can be bolted on from the back side. The headlight will have to be replaced through the fender and not out the front like it use to be. This is the way most french jobs are.

The headlight has to go in so you can center the ring before you start spot welding. Make sure your chrome bezel fits too. Remove the chrome bezel before you get too crazy with the welder.

Looks a little funny right now but give it a chance.

After many spot welds the entire ring is now fully welded all the way around. A coat of All-Metal is coated over the welds as well as the strip of round stock I welded in the center of the hood for the peak job.

With the chrome bezel back on one side you can at least get what she will look like.

The hood peak is done too.

I'd have to say this is more of a Tunnel job than a French job but either way I like the look. Most of the work is done. It still needs the final blocking and prep before paint could be put on but for now she's fine.

Tossed on a little more primer to give it that sun baked look. Hood still needs more adjustment to get it back. Hopefully I'll get it next time I fool with it.

Latest posts

Back