6 volt ground

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binky's Clown College

Are 6volt systems from '46 to '52 GM products positive or negative ground ? And if negative, what do I need to know to make this work when installing a newer ('62 6cyl) in an older car?

negative ground on gm products i'm pretty sure.....i think ford was pos. ground though (not 100% sure but fairly confident)

are you wanting to swap over the car/truck to 12v? others have done this but i'm not sure what all it takes.... a few "voltage reducers" for the guages & such and 12v bulbs seems like would be a "given" .......details i dunno

Ford was also positive ground. I just converted my 34 over to 12 volt. Like the Preach said you will need to get voltage reducer for any 6 volt electrical device you will use. There are 2 types one for guages and one for motors. Your swithes will be OK. Change all you light bulbs to 12 volt bulbs and that about it. If you wiring is in good conditiojn it will work too. 6 volt wiring in made to handle twice the amperage as 12 volt wiring.

Thanks guys for the info. Yes, I'm installling a '62 six in my '46 chevy and am not familiar with 6v systems and I will upgrade to 12v. Unfortunately the wiring is shot,too many years in the field (literally).

Also, will I need to swap to a later model 12V voltage regulator, like a '53 or '54 chevy ? I'm keepin the '62 generator to keep a closer to original look.

Yes, and use the large style regulator...

Voltage_Regulator_10530.JPG

in the words of a wise man i once knew "A lot of guys would rather eat a pound of crankcase sludge than put an alternator on their rat rod..."
generators are just as good as an alternator when properly maintained :)

poor boy look......?? i dont get it... alternators just look like a dogs breakfast on any engine, in my opinion, that is :)

positive or negative ground

6 volt Chevy trucks are negative ground and the Pre 55 GMC trucks are postitive ground. I found this out the hard way. Stay outside/Live within

Latest posts

Back