96 GMC rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, think of it this way,

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but remember the glass tracks are vertical and the glass "rides" or stays very close to the rear track all the way down. lower the window 1" the gap at the the top will be a true inch gap at windshield will be approx 1" and the gap at the rear of the glass is virtually un-changed. Think of a qtr window on an older hardtop car, they did not move truely vertical they rolled or tilted, partially due to space at the front of the wheel house, but also due to the fact that the glass had to fit the angle of the top and the back of the door glass. Your thought process is correct if you can move the rear glass track forward what ever amount you add to the top area of the door. Or angle the tracks and regulator to run at an angle that is half of the difference between the angle of the windshield and back of the glass. Or widen the rear door post. Just a few thoughts to consider. I hope this helps, and if not, hell it old school, who needs side windows.[S[S:confused::confused:

neighbour used section from a 80's full size van for a boat... I remeber he scored the bottom off the class with a grinder and tile cutting disk while spraying water on it... cut a couple of inchs off the bottom. Probly not the safiest thing to do for a car on the road but it held up great in a old fishing boat.

Spent some time pondering all the input....

No offense taken 35 prog......When I first started this project I was advised by an "expert" that this side glass thing was a cinch.... that I would not have to alter the side glass....after considering all the info provided by my new friends here at the site, I have started to question that concept.....(not sure if I'm just thinking about it too much or what..LOL) I guess the only way to know for sure is to get a door hung and the window frame cut, spliced and see what happens... I do appreciate all the input as this type of chop is a lot more difficult than any of the ones I've been involved with... the compound curves create issues I've never dealt with.... hopefully when I'm done I will have learned some new things and be able to share that info.... I've got all four corners welded in and that was a major pain in the neck getting it lined up.... much more difficult than I first imagined.... time and patience.. I'll try to post some photos of it now before I tack in the fillers.... again I ramble.....

... door frame is cut, extended to match the roof but the actual door frame remains in the same shape at the top of the glass area as it would have been with the roof in the stock location.......

If you stretch the outside of the door frame to fit the roof, the inside is also stretched and will no longer match the window length. The front angle and curve will still match, but when you roll it up, it will touch the top, but will have a large gap along the front edge.

You are absolutely right...

If you stretch the outside of the door frame to fit the roof, the inside is also stretched and will no longer match the window length. The front angle and curve will still match, but when you roll it up, it will touch the top, but will have a large gap along the front edge.

Guess i was hoping for the easy way out.... should know by now...... thanks, I guess I just needed it pounded in a bit.... in any event, all ahead full... damn the torpedos!!!! lol

I looked for some info on this side window subject, but not alot out there. IIRC when these body styles first came out(88') Truckin' did an artical on chopping this body and I think they moved the window glass and track fwd and made a spacer at the back of the door to fill the void, and as stated the window just does'nt roll all the way up anymore. So I think if you fit the glass to the A pillar and top of door then just modify the track to the new location you will be able to use factory glass.Hope this helps

A little visual aid.

Attachments

• 600_88_-_98_Chevy_Door_Shell_9632.jpg
    600_88_-_98_Chevy_Door_Shell_9632.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 29
  • paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 36
I appreciate the help.....

A little visual aid.

That is exactly what I did this morning... I cut the old door frame, tacked in the filler piece and tacked it in place....WALA......... exactly like your photo... I do believe that my "expert" (who is now residing in a warmer state) may have meant for me to do it as you stated.... sounds like a plan.... I'll let you know how that works out......thanks again for expanding my mind..... my wife often accuses me of having selective hearing and tunnel vision....lol

thanks for video....

Can never have too much information...... cutting the glass is down the road a bit...... appreciate the input and the suggestions.... you are never too old to learn......

Latest posts

Back