Am I being scammed??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I listed the bucket seats I bought for my Mustang project on Craigslist as I gave the car to Dan and he is going with racing buckets. I got this email today:

Hi,
I would have just come over to pay and pick it up, But I'm going on a trip.
Therefore, I will instruct my Secretary to prepare and mail you a Money
Order and I assure you will get it within a week. An extra $20 will be
added for the delay.
So all you have to do now is to email me your FULL NAME, MAILING ADDRESS
and PHONE NUMBER. The pick-up will be effected after you must have received
the payment.
I will be waiting to read from you.
Thanks

Here are my concerns:

1) I put in my ad, no emails or texts, just call me.

2) I have never spoken to this guy and he has never seen the seats yet.

3) The "extra $20 for the delay seems hokey to me.

4) He wants my name, address and phone number, and yet my phone number was listed in the ad.

5) He says " I will be waiting to READ from you." That sounds like foreign speak to me.

I think I smell a rat, but I also don't want to miss out on selling them if he is legit? What thinks you all ?

Don

its a scam

when dealing on craigs cash talks don't take checks don't take money orders

if at any point you think something might be a scam, just go ahead and know that it is
I hate to sound that way but people just seem to keep getting shadyer

Last edited:
I don't know what they get out of it, but I had a similar situation with selling my bike! I only deal with cash in person on c/l!!
I would say scam!!

its a scam . bad checks certified checks . anything but cash is just asking for the pipe. if they cannot come and pick up the item with cash in hand let them go

I say it is legit. The guy has tons of money, and is just looking for a place to spend it. Look, he even wants to give you an extra $20.00 for nothing. Lets break this down.

Hi, [ not "Hello", but Hi. Because "Howdy" may have sounded fake. ]

I would have just come over to pay and pick it up, But I'm going on a trip.[ This says to me the guy wants to do the reasonable thing, but knows that if he has a run at the "Most interesting man in the World" title, he has to be a little unpredictable.] [ going on a trip, is a drug reference, just overlook this part, or the trip is to Nigeria.]

Therefore, I will instruct my Secretary to prepare and mail you a Money
Order and I assure you will get it within a week. An extra $20 will be
added for the delay. [ this is the most interesting part of the reply, secretary is capitalized. It just shows how important his secretary is to him, and how much he thinks of her. What a sweetheart! Money, and Order are also capitalized, again, very important to this person.
The most interesting part is that he plans to have his secretary prepare a money order. She is good, I thought only banks, and post offices could do this sort of thing.]

So all you have to do now is to email me your FULL NAME, MAILING ADDRESS
and PHONE NUMBER. The pick-up will be effected after you must have received
the payment.
I will be waiting to read from you.
Thanks

[This part is the same as, "yada,yada, yada", Mostly telling you what you have to do to sell your seats to this guy, as compared to you telling most people what they need to to to buy them. Again, this just shows how important and rich this guy must be... after all he is buying used seats]

Dadgomright it's a scam :mad:
They pray on the naive and desperate folks.
If you email him back, even to say fluff off, he has phished your email for spamming you and will use it to spam thousands of others.
If you send all your pertinent information don't forget to include your bank account # never mind the amount they'll just take it all :(

I have got the one from the guy that goes on to let me know that he can't hear, so if there is a problem with the pick up or anything else I will have to email him. With a note at the end "This is the reason I'm not giving a phone number to reach me at".

But I also had some guy email me (with no number) about something I had for sale. His email looked like a scam. 2 weeks later the guy finaly call, I think he finaly got the point of call me on the add. He did end up buying the parts and asked why I didn't email him back. I told him because to many online scams.

If they don't give a number, I dodn't give them the time of day.

If the guy is on the up'n up, wait him out.

Last edited:
I always put in the ad no emails will be answered and in Large font so they cant miss it. Also when you list your number spell out a digit or two instead of all numbers so computers cant "call" you

So.............I guess you guys think it might be phoney, huh ????????? :D:D

I agree. I just couldn't figure out what he was going to gain by it, unless getting my full name, address, and phone number was something he could use. I got another email from another guy and he just said "Are these still available? and I answered back yes and call me at the number listed in the ad. Haven't heard anything since.

This is one reason I hate CL. :mad: Thanks for all the input, Guys.

Don

I sell junk on CL and put this statement in my add

"respond with phone # or Ill ignore your email"

I only respond with a phone call, I deleat all responds that do not have a phone #

if you respond to there Email they now have your email and can do anything they want with it like start sending you spam

and or course everything is they stop by and pick it up

If you're going to sell on CL, set up an e-mail account just for that sort of thing. And if you use your phone #, put it in the add like this:

Call: 1-123-45s i x-78nine 0
Residents of Nigeria call: 1-123-456-7890

I put the line in my ad that said "I do not open emails and do not text, so phone calls only." The idiots still email me ! :rolleyes:

My Son Don was telling me today that the guy who he bought an 8.8 rear from recently told him he was given a phoney money order for some stuff he sold on CL a while back. I guess there is a way for the buyer to cancel the MO so it is worthless.

However, today is my lucky day. Stephanie sent me an email and she is still 2.8 miles away and is anxiously waiting to meet me. Who would have thought a girl that looks a lot like Heather Locklear would be crazy about me ?? :eek::D

Don

Latest posts

Back