Anglia Redo

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ReadyToPaint002.jpg

Here's the HVLP outfit I bought about 15 years ago. Used it once way back when. So naturally, I'm nervous about making a big mess of the paint job. If I do, this will be the last post you'll see.:eek:
I only have 3 quarts of paint, but it's a small car. Hopefully that will be enough.
A person doesn't realize how small an Anglia is until it is parked next to a normal hot rod.:)

Man are you ever fast Bob W. I can't wait to see it. One of my first memories of hot cars was riding my tricycle through the doorless body of an Anglia that my dad was building into a gasser when I was a wee youngin. I've had a fetish for them every since. PS - My Anglia is no show car and is no nicer than yours. It's a bit rough around the edges as they say. I didn't want to go crazy with it because it takes a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Black003.jpg

It's black. The first coat went on well. It was hard to see how the second coat was going on because of inadequate lighting and operator inexperience. As a result, there are shiny areas and grainy areas. It will need a good going-over with scotchbright pads to get a consistent surface.
Looks like some pin striping would brighten it up too.

Black004.jpg

For the last 30 years my Anglia has been either red oxide or grey primer. When I walk into the garage it looks like someone else's Anglia is parked there.[S It will take some getting used to.
It will take a major effort to get the overspary off the garage floor. Next up is a 3rd member that doesn't whine. Then, putting the tin (and fiberglass) back on and driving it a lot this summer.

TiredIron, If it had a 6-71 on top, you'd REALLY want it! I sure wish I could find my old Anglia panel (Thames). I stuffed it into the guard rail at the drag strip in 1966. Parted it out. Sold the body and frame to a guy I worked with. He developed a rapidly progressing mental illness and stored the body and frame somewhere. He's gone and the Anglia has never been seen. The Thames and this car would make a nice set.

I'd like to have a Thames also Bob W. The one shown below is my favorite. It was for sale a while back but it was waaaaaay out of my price range. Do you have any photos of your old Thames? Any updates on your Anglia?

AngliaBDayMom014.jpg

Got it put back together enough to drive. Yesterday, with the help of RRR member Tator, we made a hood scoop to replace the funky warped fiberglass one that was on it. Except for a pinion seal leak it is pretty well ready for summer fun. For now, I carry a cardboard pizza box and slide it under the diff so it doesn't mess up driveways.:D

Last edited:
AngliaBDayMom015.jpg

The rear fenders are fiberglass as is the hood. I do have an original hood and steel rear fenders stashed away. I found some of the grille trim but still can't find the bull nose and am missing one parking light lense. The original headlights are on my '27 Chrysler Tub but will find their way back to the Anglia soon. Years ago I filled the top with a roof from a Taurus. I'll bet I've put a good 25 miles on it already!

Gas, no pics of the Thames. It had a short life and I was busy trying to make it run fast. No one back then had the foresight to take many pictures. It was a pretty piece in candy apple red with American 5 spokes. The best engine builder in the area at that time (he built all Tom Hoover's engines) spec'd and machined a very stout 332 in sbc. It had a cross ram intake and a 727 Torqueflite trans. The plan was to make it a clutchflite, but never got that far. I spent a winter copying a set of Mondello heads; my only attempt at porting. The car was totally unsafely constructed by me, and I am lucky to be here telling this story.

AngliaBDayMom016.jpg

It's hard to realize how small Anglias are until you park next to a regular car. But I'm pretty small and the seat is moved back so it is quite comfortable to drive. Performs good too.
Just to finish the story; several years after I got the car I tried to find the guy I bought it from since he owed me the window regulators and we couldn't find them when I got the car. Used to see him at swap meets without fail but he quit showing up. I remembered his first name but that was all. After quizzing many people, I found out he was trimming some very tall trees where he had his stash of '32 to '34 Ford cars and parts. He fell out of a tree and died among his beloved early Ford collection.

I found out he was trimming some very tall trees where he had his stash of '32 to '34 Ford cars and parts. He fell out of a tree and died among his beloved early Ford collection.

Bob... car looks *really* awesome!!!

Note to self: Hire someone to trim those trees... DON'T do it yourself!!! :D

BoB

The Anglia looks great Bob W. I think I have a spare bullnose from my Anglia. I'll check Saturday. If I have it, I'll mail it to you.

wow Bob! that looks great, and I bet it is a ton of fun, when you get bored of it feel free to send it my way!

Latest posts

Back