Awaa Crap!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
We have just had some of the worst weather in recent memory. Late Monday my the immediate area has be deemed in a 'State of Emergency'. Due to the drifting and blowing snow. Snow streamers off the southern tip of Lake Huron buried London ON a week ago, and have now shifted due south for the last three days which covers my area. Approx 360 vehicles are stuck and stranded on the 402 highway. The Canadian military has been called in to airlift the stranded people. Two CH-146 Griffon helicopters and a CC-130 Herc. are on the scene. The Herc and crew are spotting for the helicopters and telling them when a break on the snow streamers is about to happen, so they can dash in, grab the people and get back on top before they are in a white out. Local towns and villages (our's included) in the area have set up "warming stations" for people who have managed to get off the highways and roads but have no where else to stay. I didn't get away scott free this time. I was in it a few miles south of the 402 scene and got creamed by a tilt and load that was working a 4 car pile up on a county road. I couldn't get through to where I was headed, so I said the heck with it. I managed to get turned around but in a matter of moments was in a white out myself. Caught a glimpse of a mail box, so I parked close as possible so I would be off the traveled portion of the road. Waited for about a minute for it to clear a bit, glanced in the rearview mirror to see two headlights bearing down. Got nailed in the drivers rear corner and raked all down the driverside by a tilt and load. Well...my Cad was a nice car, I doubt it will be fixed due to the age and the amount of damage. Good news, nobody was hurt, just really PO'd. The truck was only two days old, the driver was good about it all, and made sure I was ok. I took some pictures today, but so much snow blew in since last night it's hard to see anything. Oh well, life goes on. Summers looking pretty good right now!:(

Attachments

• Cad 1.jpg
    Cad 1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Cad 2.jpg
    Cad 2.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Cad 3.jpg
    Cad 3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 25
man sorry to hear about the caddy. when it snows here everything closes down, we had a blizzard in 93 or 94 and the whole state was shut down for what seems like aweek, cept for the dumba$$es that ended up wrecking their rides. you say the word snow and there is no milk, are bread in the stores, i guess they are going to have milk sandwiches.

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about the car, only because it was in exceptional shape. It had spent most of it's life in Florida with a old snowbird geezer. I bought it 4 years ago from his son when the old fella passed away.

I can see how snow can upset drivers not used to it. It does take on a whole new approach. Gently use the throttle to get going, and gently use the brakes when stopping, away farther ahead of time than 'normal'. Defensive driving at the utmost. But white outs and blinding snow will get you if you keep moving, but stopping and trying to get out of the road doesn't always work either.;) I can prove it!!

Even though we do this snow thing every year, there are lots of people who need to relearn how to drive at the start of every snow season. Body shop owners should have a good Christmas this year.:D

And yes, your right, it's only a car. But dang it...it was a nice one!!

Man, sounds you guys got it bad! Sorry about the car. Shame to see a good Caddy go down. White car in a white out - not good.

Relearning to drive in the winter: I was out the first snow this year - it was like I was in one of those videos from the south where it snows once every ten years. People where slamming into everything! Every intersection had at least one accident. I mean it only has been 9 months from the last snow? Worst I've ever seen.

man sorry to hear about the caddy. when it snows here everything closes down, we had a blizzard in 93 or 94 and the whole state was shut down for what seems like aweek, cept for the dumba$$es that ended up wrecking their rides. you say the word snow and there is no milk, are bread in the stores, i guess they are going to have milk sandwiches.

What's a blizzard in Alabama, like 3 inches of snow?:D:D Just kidding but serIously that's all it took to shut everything down when I lived in east Texas. I could drive in it just fine but you DON'T want to be on the road with Texicans when it's slippery.
Too bad about the cad, glad you weren't hurt.

Yes London and area has been a mess. We are just south of London close to the lake and its not too bad here, we usually miss all the really bad stuff.
Glad you are OK, thats the main thing.

That is a bummer Sniper, it does look like it was a really nice car. Up here in Kitchener things aren't to bad. The worst of it was that wet snow we got two days ago and then froze up . It's been a skating rink here ever since.

Sorry to hear about your car Sniper! Too bad for the car, but I'm glad you're OK! Are you gonna fix it? Looks like you have the time waiting for the snow to end!:D...CR

I got the ok from the insurance guys to take it in to the body shop and have it assessed and see if it's worth fixing. The pictures don't show how bad it is because of the snow drift. Because of the age, (a 94) I'm not all that confident they will fix it. Really crushed in the rear corner and trunk floor, and the whole side is squashed except the rear door. The front bumper and all the rubber/plastic front was ripped loose and folded over so it was sticking straight out like a stinger. Kind of like those arms on the front of a school bus. Headlight was hanging by the wires, no idea where the parking light/ blinker light is? Gone. You can buy these cars cheap enough, but I'm not so sure you can find another one as nice. Ontario vehicles are know for rusting out, and this one didn't spend anytime here during the winters. I already have an engine from my wifes 94 cad, and it's slated for the Fiat, so I'm good there. I have yet to really get a good, deep, look at it. And it's always the case where the damage is worse when you get into it, and never better. We'll see what happens and I'll let you know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back