Axle without spring?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldos_1

i know this is a crazy question but are there and straight axle installed in the front that run just shocks,without the leafspring across and is this possible

Just shocks won't work unless they are coil over shocks or air bag type shocks. There are some inexpensive coilover shocks available for VWs & other cars, you just have to hunt for them. I wouldn't trust an air shock/ load leveler type as the only suspension. You need some sort of suspension on the front axle and the rear axle as well.

Yes , i understand the coil over style here is a pic i found and i think im gonna go this route what do yall think coil.jpg

I actually had a set of custom 4.5 inch travel nitrogen charged air shocks built by fox just for what you are talking about, but decided not to run them and went with coilovers. They are the style shocks we run on our rock buggys and are very proven, but even then I have seen a seal blow out and loose all the nitrogen in them.

Here is a pic of what they look like. The long one is what we run on the buggys and the short one is the style I had built for the truck but did not use...

l_66bd6d313fce4387a4ff2159332301e4.jpg

i know this is a crazy question but are there and straight axle installed in the front that run just shocks,without the leafspring across and is this possible
5 years ago when i decided to build a rat I didn't know anything about old style straight axles . There was no RRR or KB there was only the HAMB . I spent one winter reading everything I could find on the hamb . I also got all the catalogs I could, IE Speedway, Posies.Pete and Jakes etc . The following spring and summer i went to every car show within 150 miles of my house . I took pictures or every front end i saw and talked to every guy who was sitting by his ride . Then i started making my plan . Worked good for me .

Those top mounts on the Tudor pictured look a little on the weak side to me. You figure, they are supporting the entire front of the car.

Don

Those top mounts on the Tudor pictured look a little on the weak side to me. You figure, they are supporting the entire front of the car.

Don

I was thinking the same thing. And it looks like the end of the frame is behind the axle. The last thing I would want is to have the front of the frame digging into the road at 60 MPH.

I was thinking the same thing. And it looks like the end of the frame is behind the axle. The last thing I would want is to have the front of the frame digging into the road at 60 MPH.

I guess that's why a spring mounted in front of the frame is called a " suicide " mount . Everything works good till it doesn't work .

Latest posts

Back