Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob I think the rails you have going are a cool and better way to do a bobber bed truck. Safer to with bags, use the bags to push the truck to the ground not hold it up. I don't think the under slung frame looks out of place. I think for the style you are after the full spring makes the rear a tad long. Maybe set that frame aside and go with the 1/4 elip, I know you have done that before.

Ok Bob, here goes, you can hate on me later! [;)

1: what if you take the rear rails and 'pinch' then in so that the rail actually sits under the rear shackle hanger. Then if you round the bottom of the rail up so that the hanger and the back of the rail is both even. You know, just kinda sexy up the rails a little. I think by angling the rail under the mount it cleans it all up so it doesn't look bulky. Also by bobbing it to the same length as the spring it makes it look more proportional to where the body / tires sit.

2: What if you made your fuel tank into part of the rear sheet metal body work such as a mini boat tail between the rails. You could extend the front to go over the axle as a cover up to the trunk. Ifn' it were me I would do it narrow enough so it sat between the rails letting the springs hang out in the air in all their glory.

Just my $.02 from my A.D.D brain. Carry on![S[P

Excellent imagineering! So much fun to watch
402471-1.gif
402471-1.gif

I don't have anything to offer, but I know you will get it figured out and make it cool..I really like that cab alot..

ReoFootLocker005.jpg

Thank you all for the suggestions and encouragement. I must move forward with this design until it proves itself to be excessively ugly. In the pic above the spring is mounted. The rear shackle is not that far past the wheel. If the frame is ended at the shackle bracket it probably won't be bad. Trying a third trunk. This one is a World War II foot locker with the serviceman's name still stenciled on the top. I got it from RRR member Youngster for free. He hasn't posted in a year so I don't know if he still visits RRR. The trunk was intended for my Binder build but didn't work out. Looks like it might be the answer for this build.

The trunk will be mounted higher, up to the rear belt line on the body. It is possible I'll mount a spare tire behind the trunk.

ReoFootLocker009.jpg

Without a rear axle and the wheel it looks pretty bad. Raising the trunk is necessary to clear the rear end. The trunk bottom might need to be modified anyway for more clearance.
Most likely will not have a gas tank directly behind the trunk. A spare tire mount hopefully will look better.

What about the spare behind the cab and move the trunk behind the axle?

Just thinking out loud, as I have ideas, but they are not always good ones =)

I think that may be just the ticket. That trunk looks good. And adding the spare would kind of fill the "gaps" and add a good dimension to the rear.

I think you are onto something with the spare tire. Pick the trunk up so it is right under the body belt line, lean the tire inwards at the top.

Now that I look at your rear rails I realize the springs are outside the frame rails. I thought they were inboard of them. So my Idea of pinchng the rails is out. [S

FrenchParts002.jpg

Went to the junkyard today and found this spare tire carrier and rear bumper on a 29 Reo. I was on a scouting mission and didn't bring any tools so I'll have to go back soon.

11-3-12_005.jpg

A month ago when I was picking up a bunch of vintage tin in a junkyard I spotted this Rover. Sunday a couple friends went back and took pics of it for me. I love this thing! 88" wheelbase, aluminum body. If the price is at all reasonable, it will be mine.
One idea is to go high tech, like Mr. Gussett's current project. Another idea is with jfg455's advice, to use a small LS series engine. Any other ideas would be appreciated. The Rover would be a three season daily driver so good mileage is part of the plan.

Bob you are rigth, we would make good neighbors. We have the same sickness.

I did some motor mounts in a CJ a couple weeks ago, the guy was staping a ford pinto motor in it.

I'd drop a 4 cylinder Cummins diesel in it..in something that small, probably get 35 mpg.. cool ride, hope you get it..

Latest posts

Back