Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like this thread is meandering a little so I will add to it.

I can't stop thinking about this Rover. It is way cool. And I blame E-Man for having me drive past the Rover repair shop near me looking in the back for a spare body![S

So build it like this, make the hard top fit the new profile and lift off, make mounts in the bed to secure it, drop in a 5.3L LS style motor with a 4L60E trans and have a rad cruiser![cl[;)

sxbz1i.jpg

looks like this thread is meandering a little so I will add to it.

I can't stop thinking about this Rover. It is way cool. And I blame E-Man for having me drive past the Rover repair shop near me looking in the back for a spare body![S

So build it like this, make the hard top fit the new profile and lift off, make mounts in the bed to secure it, drop in a 5.3L LS style motor with a 4L60E trans and have a rad cruiser![cl[;)

sxbz1i.jpg

That thing is cool! ...but it needs a 6 speed to go with the LS motor

ReoFrameWelded001.jpg

Yea, I took my own thread off topic. Didn't figure what I had was worth a new thread since I don't yet own the Rover.
I am the master of building ugly frames. Here is the front 2/3 of the Reo frame. All the welding was completed today. The "Z" will be inside the firewall and not visible.

ReoFrameWelded007.jpg

Here's the crossmember that is just inside the rear of the cab. The rear frame members will be welded to the crossmember.
The overall frame is quite long. However, the wheelbase is a modest 111". Using semi elliptic springs front and rear add about 18" on each end.

You know it will look fine when it comes back from the chrome shop

Lol!

I think it looks good now. Just took me a minute to wrap my head around the fact that the Z will go up under the cab and not down. [P

ReoFrameWelded004.jpg

All three sections of the frame are welded together. The rusty lumps next to the front of the rear spring mounts are Chevy truck lever shocks. They are single action but I'm gonna try them anyway.
I'll replace the driveshaft with a rear rear end, and 8" Ford, tomorrow.

ReoFrameWelded002.jpg

Front suspension fit together well. Looks like I'll habe to move the rear shackle mounts forward a bit. Today I bought steel to box the rails.
Photoshop changed their whole look and a lot of procedures. Now, my pics are bigger than ever.

ReoFrameBoxed001.jpg

Boxed the front frame. The bottom of the frame was pitted on the inside so I welded a 1/8" by 2" strap on the inside before adding the boxing plates.

ReoFrameBoxed003.jpg

Because I kept the rear springs pretty close to the frame I couldn't use traditional U-bolts and bottom plates. This style of mount clamps the axle cradle to the spring. Obviously the axle will be welded to the cradle.

NewMockUp010.jpg

Bolted the body to the frame and set a hood and radiator shell in place. The front is about 4" higher than ride height. The weight of the engine and other parts should drop it that much.
The hood will not work but a home made aluminum one will do the job.

Looks good! You can't drop the sides off the hood, add a strip down the middle and just use the top of the hood? I guess it would just be easier to make a new one. [P

ReoEngine008.jpg

RRR member Todd, down in Faribault practically gave me this 292 Chevy 6. Here's where it goes.

jfg455, at this point I don't know how the hood will be done. Might use your suggestion.

The most fun of a project for me is getting to this point. I like to see if the image in my mind works out in real metal. Now comes a lot of hard work.

Nice nice nice so jealous of you guys in the states so hard to find sheet metal like that here in the uk keep up the good work .....

ReoMotorMounts009.jpg

Trans crossmember was simple. Had to weld some tubes in the crossmember so the trans mount bolts won't pinch it.

Latest posts

Back