Considering neon

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
Taking a shot in the dark here that anyone on this board would know.I'm considering the use of a neon sign for a third brake light. :rolleyes:
Using an inverter i would need to know how many watts they use and do they light up instantly or have to warm up. Inverters put out different watteges and have different prices. Thanks.
472a.jpg

Last edited:
not sure on watts, But, there is LOTS of voltage to light that up.

The most common current rating is 30 mA for general use, with 60 mA used for high-brightness applications like channel letters or architectural lighting. 120 mA sources are occasionally seen in illuminating applications, but are uncommon since special electrodes are required to withstand the current, and an accidental shock from a 120 mA transformer is much more likely to be fatal than from the lower current supplies.

Neon isn't really designed for the on/off that a brake light would see. They have a bit of delay as they fire and they hate cold temps (Using high voltage to turn a gas to a plasma state). I would recommend using LEDs if possible. More reliable, more suited to the application and use less power and will likely last years longer.

Use a clamp on amp meter to see the amp draw.Being a transformer it shouldnt be a whole lot.Wire in a 12v coil relay to open and close the 110v circuit

rule of thumb

check to see what the AC amp draw is and multipy it by 10, rule of thumb is one A.C. amp equals 10 D.C. amp. and for every 1000 watts of inverter used, you need approximately 1000cca of battery. i get to deal with alot of electrical stuff at my second job. starter alternator rebuild shop and specialty performance electrical stuff.

I have been experimenting with EL (electroluminescent) wire. It stays cool and can be bent in many positions. It uses low voltage to excite a coated wire in a plastic tube. Neat stuff...I will be using more if it in the future.

weld on .........[;)

Neon brake light.

Only drawback would be the blue in the light. Here in Fla you can't run any blue on the car and even the tag light has to be white.:cool:

Latest posts

Back