Dealing with people!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some peoples word isn't worth a darn thing.

Sometimes i like to say I'll hold it for you until someone else wants it more than you and puts cash in my hand

When buying off ebay and I cant come up with it all up front...
The deal I offer before I bid is this:
I'll send you $100 (or whatever) deposit non-refundable to hold it for 2,3,4 weeks after which if i cannot follow through... you can keep my deposit to cover re listiing your ad.

it's a well recieved offer, sometimes you just have to bid on several things that all depend in each other.
MOST people can respect a man putting his money where his mouth is

I used to do the same thing. People would want me to hold something with a partial payment. I'd usually use a number that was about 25% of the sale and tell them that amount would keep it off the market for a certain period and apply to the purchase. After the time was up, I kept the money and re-listed it.

Parts store delivered a set of spark plugs once and they were all used. Some a hole had put his old ones in the boxes and returned them. It's a shame people like that walk amongst us.

Every day at work I find some empty package hidden down an aisle, where someone has stolen the contents and ditched the package. :mad: What makes me the maddest is that this was some customer who we went out of our way to greet and offer good service to, and they turn around and rip us off.

I saw a bumper sticker one time that sums it up. "The more I know people the better I like my dog." Amen.

Don

Yes Don, I battle daily with my opinion of the human race, trying not to let the undesirables cloud out the good that others do. Even just the general lack of situational awareness and consideration that the populace displays is of great concern that our race isn't going to survive.

I don't have an opinion of the human race I'm just glad I'm not one of them

So are we! [ddd [ddd [ddd

Log entry star date 20203417 my ship broke down out in the middle of no-where near a strange blue
planet
Blending in with the locals but I fear they are beginning to suspect...

Hey Eric

Last I knew....with a sawzall blade or angle grinder or plasma cutter a truck can be anything you want it to be...

MikeC

P.S. cant wait to see the project I am getting from you later this year..I am already collecting bed parts for it...

people

I worked in a hardware store. A guy was trying to return a tool, i told him we didn't stock it and couldn't refund his money. He got huffy and wanted to talk to the manager. I said ok be right back, took a couple of steps and turned around and asked if i could help him. The way he stomped off i think i made him mad. Customer alawys right, now that a joke. Take someone that whistle for you. I'd just stare at them down and not move, i'm not a @#@ dog.

$160 a ton midwest at 3.5 ton (generous and with wood removed) # is $560
They giving 300 a ton out there? XD

One of the problems with old trucks over 1 ton is they have some parts like the fenders which wouldnt fit on a commuter...
Impossibly low geared to be usefull off the farm
And some are worthless for commercial use...which is how I got my forklift for 500 bucks..it has no rops.
I don't see much more than a grand here unless there's a that one special guy that has to have it no matter what.
I'd give $500 for the cab and maybe $300 for the front clip if I was spending.
I know I can find clean stuff in that range
put 10k in it and it's a $3k to $5k truck
If I was making 60k a year I'd say convenience comes into the picture. here and now can change an ompression of what a good price is if your time is limited
I think of the few people that are into old cars fewer still want a bulky slow old gas guzzlin commercial vehicle>
Everything seems to pivot on what's usefull to the general competitive person focused on getting a job done good fast and cheap.

Last edited:
I wish I would have bought a few of the old gutted trucks ive seen for $200 or $300 with no fenders. I never thought of using the cabs for a hotrod body

$160 a ton midwest at 3.5 ton (generous and with wood removed) # is $560
They giving 300 a ton out there? XD

One of the problems with old trucks over 1 ton is they have some parts like the fenders which wouldnt fit on a commuter...
Impossibly low geared to be usefull off the farm
And some are worthless for commercial use...which is how I got my forklift for 500 bucks..it has no rops.
I don't see much more than a grand here unless there's a that one special guy that has to have it no matter what.
I'd give $500 for the cab and maybe $300 for the front clip if I was spending.
I know I can find clean stuff in that range
put 10k in it and it's a $3k to $5k truck
If I was making 60k a year I'd say convenience comes into the picture. here and now can change an ompression of what a good price is if your time is limited
I think of the few people that are into old cars fewer still want a bulky slow old gas guzzlin commercial vehicle>
Everything seems to pivot on what's usefull to the general competitive person focused on getting a job done good fast and cheap.

That's why we part most of them out that we find. My "associate", whom I get the scrap from when he's done, parts 30-40 old trucks a year. Mostly 30s and 40s GM. I's amazing what those good solid parts sell for. Often a truck that generally sells for 400-500 will net $3000 in parts and still have close to 2 tons of scrap left. And yes, getting rid of the wood bed is a pita.
Sometimes we sell a truck whole, not because it's worth more but just because it's a shame to part a really nice shed stored old truck. Even on a really nice one that runs and has good tires, 1500-2000 is the most they ever bring.

Torch part of my regular business is industrial scrap. If I leave the truck whole I will get $290 a ton. If I cut it into 5' it goes up about $60 a ton, if I cut it up into 2' it goes up another $30 on top of the $60. So that's $380 a ton for most of the chassis and $290 for the tin.

As for removing the wood. It would take me about 5 minutes with the excavator if I was scrapping the truck. But the yard that I sell to I can leave the wood and tires on it.

If I hauled it 200 miles up towards Detroit I could get about another $150 a ton.

The best prices I've saw locally where $550 a ton for 2'. That was to omni source in Warsaw Indiana, about 7 years ago.

Latest posts

Back