Engine paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
So I am going to need to paint my motor. its all new and clean and looks great so I know I need to protect it. Now I have painted a few in the past with rattle can paint. It wasnt too bad but I just painted over the original paint. My question is what do I use to seal it with? Primer? What type? I may just rattle can over the top of it with a gloss black but what do I use first??

Wash it down with a good prepsol, spray with metal etch primer, then shoot the color of choice.:cool:

I understand the purpose of a good cleaning and the etching primer but what kind of paint would be used and what about the motor temps? Won't regular spray paint be destoryed or discolored by high temps?? I would think the paint had to be a high temp paint???

Just wondering because in the future I will be painting mine too.

All of the above is exactly right and I use VHT rattle cans and that brand paint can withstand the heat and holds up great. It is worth a couple more bucks to keep it from fading or chipping but your prep and how clean the motor is will make all of the difference with the final finish.

if its good clean almost anything works well. i have used lacquer and had no problems . on the intake crossover anything will brown some

I've used Urethane for many years and NEVER had a problem with it chipping, flaking or burning.
To each his own.
Do ya put a Band-Aid on a heart attack? DUH !!!!

I painted mine with an etch primer, then a urethane prime, then Dupont Centari acrylic enamel (as per Donsrods suggestion). I've only done the break in so I can't say much of the durability but his looks great on his T-bucket.

I don't think you should paint directly over the etch primer do you????? If I had to do it again I'd just use an epoxy primer directly on the clean block, then paint. Cut's out on the extra step of prep and cleaning.....I hate cleaning.

Sean

Attachments

• P9190636.JPG
    P9190636.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 19
Well dang now I am really lost. I have painted over paint on a block with high temp paint before and it worked great. So as for a bare clean block its a 3 step process? So I should etch prime, prime and paint with high temp paint? I just want this thing to last. Its going to be black anyhow so Im not to worried about fading or discoloring.

Epoxy primer goes on bare metal, then paint, therefore the easiest and I think the best. I did my car this way.

VHT needs no primer, I use this on my headers and brake drums, not very many colors. I used it on a chopper engine and it was very soft and never really cured right. Make sure it's a THIN coat.

Etch is an acid of some sort(I'm no expert) I think it's not good to paint right over. So etch, urethane, than paint. Works fine just not as easy. I did my frame this way.

If it has good paint on it then usually just a rough sanding then paint. As long as it's already sealed properly in the beginning you should have no problems.

I'm not a painter but I've painted quite a bit and I research the heck out of everything before I do it. Epoxy I've found to be the most forgiving, goes on smooth, and sands easy. I think it's the most durable as well.

Enough talking, now go ask someone who really knows:D!!!!!

http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php

Sean

Oh yea, make sure whatever you use is compatible. Staying with the same line is a good idea but not always required.

Sean

I'm trying an easy way i think
White hi temp paint as a base coat then tremclad over the top.
I did it years ago and from what i remember it held up fine

Heres a shot of my motor. Tanked at the shop, I used the primer that converts rust to black primer, then a good etching primer followed by the engine paint by Bill Hearch off the internet. Paint is 1915-1947 Packard green.

l_64fe0d15d62a4c9a8f126e5c1011caac.jpg

Latest posts

Back