Rear Gears

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't suggesting you use a bench seat, I was showing you how to make the best of what little room our trucks have.
Have the upholsterer reduce the bulkiness of you buckets before they cover them.

I ran 3:23's in a Dodge Super Bee with a four speed standard and only had one complaint. If I got caught behind some little old lady in the grocery store parking lot just puttsing along, looking for the ideal parking spot, I had to ride the clutch until my leg got shaking. In general, I really liked the car so I kept it, about fifty years.
On my '36 Ford truck, I cut the bucket seat backs in half and tipped them forwards a wee bit, giving me a little more room.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 7
  • '36right interior.jpg
    '36right interior.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 9
My 39 Dodge pickup is the same cab as Couper's cab.
I'm 6'1" and 270lbs. I built the truck because I loved the body style, but after it was built and I could drive it, I discovered I could only drive it for about an hour and had to get out of it. Even with the seats on 6" high pedestals and the seat back against the back of the cab, under the rear window frame, my knees were on each side of the steering wheel. I think the biggest problem was the angle at which me feet had to bend to operate the gas and brake pedal. I had the seat higher, and lower, but the position I ended up at was the best bet. I drive my stuff, so I spend a lot of time with seat and pedal placement. The cab was just too small for me. The seats were the 2nd row buckets out of a 2000 something Chrysler mini van.
My wife that is 5'4" tall loved driving the truck. I managed to sell it and get most of my money out of it.

Attachments

• P1010219.jpg
    P1010219.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010220.jpg
    P1010220.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010221.jpg
    P1010221.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 12
The bolsters, that you see in the pic of mine, is the original amount of cushion the seat had the sitting area is the cut down/reduced amount of cushion the upholsterer cut away, lets your butt slide towards the back of the cab. This made about 2 to 3 inches more leg room.
This is one of the most comfortable seats I have sat in. People will get in it all the time and comment on how well it sits.
This is a S10 seat stripped to the frame and new foam installed.
Using your seats can be done the same way.
When upholstering seats, people will have them over stuffed which eliminates leg room.

What I notice on OI and Mac's examples is that the side bolsters aren't very tall, where your inspiration interior has a lot taller bolsters. On cramped early truck cabs, less bolster on the outside means less to climb over and easier entry/exit from the vehicle. Something to keep in mind.

The bolsters, that you see in the pic of mine, is the original amount of cushion the seat had the sitting area is the cut down/reduced amount of cushion the upholsterer cut away, lets your butt slide towards the back of the cab. This made about 2 to 3 inches more leg room.
This is one of the most comfortable seats I have sat in. People will get in it all the time and comment on how well it sits.
When upholstering seats, people will have them over stuffed which eliminates leg room.

I see that a lot in the 40's-50's trucks when people want to use the stock style seat then they complain they have no room in the cab.

Back when seats were overstuffed and roads were very rough.

What I notice on OI and Mac's examples is that the side bolsters aren't very tall, where your inspiration interior has a lot taller bolsters. On cramped early truck cabs, less bolster on the outside means less to climb over and easier entry/exit from the vehicle. Something to keep in mind.

Exactly

My 39 Dodge pickup is the same cab as Couper's cab.
I'm 6'1" and 270lbs. I built the truck because I loved the body style, but after it was built and I could drive it, I discovered I could only drive it for about an hour and had to get out of it. Even with the seats on 6" high pedestals and the seat back against the back of the cab, under the rear window frame, my knees were on each side of the steering wheel. I think the biggest problem was the angle at which me feet had to bend to operate the gas and brake pedal. I had the seat higher, and lower, but the position I ended up at was the best bet. I drive my stuff, so I spend a lot of time with seat and pedal placement. The cab was just too small for me. The seats were the 2nd row buckets out of a 2000 something Chrysler mini van.
My wife that is 5'4" tall loved driving the truck. I managed to sell it and get most of my money out of it.

That looks good Gene....I'm gona have to mess around with it.

That's what I need to do OI.... 2-3" would make a world of difference. I'll have to mess with it an when I'm ready I'll have the shop give me some ideas.

That makes sense....looks really cool but may not work. I love the color of that interior as well. Thanks sno

Latest posts

Back