Exhaust baffles.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
Has anyone made a set of baffles for zoomie, or weedburner exhaust? I'm thinking of going with either/or on the exhaust, and would prefer if it looked the part without it being a cop caller from three blocks away. I have some idea's rattling around in my head, but, they are just idea's at this point. I've never seen an insert type baffle, just how much can the pipe be reduced before it's messed up the flow of the exhaust. Not looking for a real "quiet" exhaust note, just take the bark out of it. You know, just so a cop will look at you and smile,:) not look at you and smile, and then write up a ticket.:D Sniper

If your buildin zoomies or like single pipe per cyl. (8straight).Harley inserts work well.You can get em in 1 3/4"or 2".Any motorcycle shop should carry them.You can get baffles for lake style headers also.Hope this helps you.

Has anyone made a set of baffles for zoomie, or weedburner exhaust? I'm thinking of going with either/or on the exhaust, and would prefer if it looked the part without it being a cop caller from three blocks away. I have some idea's rattling around in my head, but, they are just idea's at this point. I've never seen an insert type baffle, just how much can the pipe be reduced before it's messed up the flow of the exhaust. Not looking for a real "quiet" exhaust note, just take the bark out of it. You know, just so a cop will look at you and smile,:) not look at you and smile, and then write up a ticket.:D Sniper

I tried to find the Pics of a set I made BUT couldn't find it right now if I do I'll post it. Til then try Option 2!

Attachments

• HDCADDY.jpg
    HDCADDY.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 38
Thank you for the replies,

Gearhead 10: Yep that's the plan, single pipes. Gasser style, glass body Fiat. Have an aluminium 4.5 liter Cadillac engine sitting the wings for it. Once the engine gets a make over, it may be hard to tell just what it is. Have a few plans for it. I've heard of the Harley baffles being used, but had no idea what sizes were available. I'll look into it, but with the name Harley on it, costs may be a factor.:eek:

51 Cards: I'd like to see how you went about making them. I was tossing around the idea of a multi chamber, mini muffler. Built like a full size unit that would fit inside a two inch pipe.

Caddad65: Not sure that would fit the Gasser style, but it might on a future project. Sniper

Ok Found it

but it's not a real good shot.
First get the size pipe you'll need to fit inside your pipes next I cut 5 1" lines on all four sides with a sawsall and staggered them high 2 sides low 2 sides. IT AIN'T EASY! and whats next is even worse take a center punch and punch the center of each slit. Now on mine Pictured below I slipped them inside the pipe and welded in before adding the flanges, but I have seen them inserted and bolted or set screwed. They worked well .

Attachments

• Baffles.jpg
    Baffles.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
51Cards: Thanks for the picture, I can see what you've done clearly enough. Did you "cap" one end and install a "washer", (for lack of a better term) on the opposite end? I'm guessing the exhaust flow would enter the end with the "washer", carry on down the tube and escape out the slots to continue on out the exhaust pipe. I'm I close? I know the Thrush mufflers I used back in my youth, (a while ago now) used a inner pipe, much the same design as you have. The idea was to have the exhaust pulse expand into the outer fiberglass packing, and slow down enough for the next pulse to collide with it, as it came back into the center pipe on it's way out. What you got was a nice rumble, until the fiberglass was burnt, broken into small pieces, and blown out.
Cyanide Jello: No, really haven't looked at to much yet, have spent some time studing how muffers work though. Not sure if I can make it apply to a small 2" pipe. That's why I'm asking how others have over come the "problem".
There's some smart people on here, no point in reinventing the wheel!;) Sniper

As Far as I know Again I'm no engineer it just distrubs the exhaust flow creating a turbulance and quiets it. why and how I don't know, It just works. No cap or washer just the pipe as you see it.

51 Cards: Is it just centered in the exhaust pipe then? Is the insert fairly snug to the exhaust tube, and then tacked to it? Have you ever tried different lengths to see if it would be quieter? And, for the last question, would it make any difference where it's placed in the exhaust pipe? Such as closer, or farther from the engine? Sorry to be such a pain, just trying to learn as much as I can from someone who has done this. Thanks, Sniper

Check with Rewarder headers in Calif for baffels that work inside Zoomies, Not cheap but they work well to quiet boat headers with blowers. Most lake boats are required to be quieter now and we had to do that for our blown gas lake toy even in Kansas.

garyroushkolb: Thanks for the lead, I checked out Rewarder online. The smallest insert baffle they carry is a 2 1/4" x 8 1/2". I'm only going with a 2" exhaust tube, so they would be to large. Read over what they had to say about them, looks like a mini glasspack. They even sell a repacking to rebuild them when needed. Won't work for me as is, but provided some good info. Thanks again, Sniper

hey sniper,51 cards had a good picture of what the baffles look like and the install.You can go online to www.jpcycles.com its in Anomosa Ia. they sell them.They are a little pricey,29.99-38.99 each.You might be able to get them from a local motorcycle shop a little cheaper ? too.

Saw a 35 Big block Chevy ar York the past 10 years or so. He has zoomies with motorcycle baffles inserted. Sounds great! not too loud and not too quiet! Those baffles are cheap, so you can try them without going broke!:D

Somethin just come to mind... Most of those rice cans that kids put on cars have inserts that you can put in the muffler to quiet it down... I think I saw some on AndysAutoSport.com not too long ago... I don't know how small you can buy em but if anything you can cut em up to the size you need...

51 Cards: Is it just centered in the exhaust pipe then? Is the insert fairly snug to the exhaust tube, and then tacked to it? Have you ever tried different lengths to see if it would be quieter? And, for the last question, would it make any difference where it's placed in the exhaust pipe? Such as closer, or farther from the engine? Sorry to be such a pain, just trying to learn as much as I can from someone who has done this. Thanks, Sniper

Snug and Tacked, other than that I have no more information. good luck

That place has 12" 'drag baffles' for 1-1/2" to 2". 8-11$ a piece.
AFE76EF2-2FCF-4246-9178-2F31DDC34C0B.jpg

I would place the baffles as far from the heads as possible. You don't want to cause turbulence close to the cylinders. And use fiberglass as a pack to mellow it out as much as possible - again farther out is better or the fiberglass will burn out even quicker. I don't think you'll have a problem with pulse or slowing exhaust gases since each cylinder is it's own exhaust system.

51cards: Thanks for the info and help, and also everyone else that gave their time, info, and sources. I think I have enough of the blanks filled in, to make this work out ok on the first try. I'll let you know what happens when I get that far. :D Sniper

i was talking to my friend greezy bill,, he said they use to take washer an weld them to a flat strip , and slide them up their pipes , on their harleys,, and put a screw threw the back of the pipe, he said it would change the sound according to ht hole size and how many washers you used, but the main reason was to stop the cops nightstich from sliding to far in the piping, muffler laws in ohio, he was a pospect for a bike club,, and they got checked on a regula basis. :cool:

That place has 12" 'drag baffles' for 1-1/2" to 2". 8-11$ a piece.
AFE76EF2-2FCF-4246-9178-2F31DDC34C0B.jpg

I would place the baffles as far from the heads as possible. You don't want to cause turbulence close to the cylinders. And use fiberglass as a pack to mellow it out as much as possible - again farther out is better or the fiberglass will burn out even quicker. I don't think you'll have a problem with pulse or slowing exhaust gases since each cylinder is it's own exhaust system.

I like his answer Sniper sounds reasonable and as I said I didn't know.

Latest posts

Back