Exposed transmissions - How do you seal the firewall?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipper_1938

He recycles the right way
For the guys with the transmission sitting with you in the interior of the car....How are you sealing up around the bellhousing? I can't come up with a good solution that allows for engine movement (rubber motor mounts).

Please post pics of how you did it.

Thanks.

I recommend getting some cardboard and fab up yourself a trans tunnel and then make it out of metal.

Attachments

• floor1.jpg
    floor1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 35
  • floormetal.jpg
    floormetal.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 32
Maybe it's just me, but I have never understood why people leave something that is hot and has rotating parts exposed next to their body parts. I know it has somewhat of a bare, industrial look to it, but the floor is there to protect you and to keep stuff from falling out of the car.

Don

Hey Flipper

I am so glad you posted this....My nightmare has a 4 speed trans out of early 1970's Chevy truck...that thing is so much bigger than it looked when I picked it up...Tonight I was looking at that exact same thing...I am gonna have to just start cutting and fitting until it is covered...I dont want any part of it sticking inside the cab...I am still fighting with fitting all 3 pedals under the dash and still having room for my feet to use each pedal...I have a 1953/54 Chevy cab...I cant imagine trying to do this build with a smaller 1930's or a 1940's cab....I dont know how these guys do...I am hoping some guys have dealt with this before....
Thanks for bringing this up on this forum.
MikeC

wheelbarrow

used a wheelbarrow for mine.

cut it fit, welded it in, wall, firewall done. [;)made a pedestal for the fuel pedal and it works awesome.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• dodge truck firewall 001.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 001.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 34
  • dodge truck firewall 002.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 002.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 26
  • dodge truck firewall 003.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 003.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 24
  • dodge truck firewall 006.jpg
    dodge truck firewall 006.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCI0192.jpg
    DSCI0192.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCI0193.jpg
    DSCI0193.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCI0191.jpg
    DSCI0191.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
Many sprint cars and midgets have exposed in & out boxes. But the cars have a belly pan which is the floor. I've thought about doing that in some future build.

Firewalls... we don't need no stinkin' firewalls!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 64
With most rats I've seen that have open transmissions, tranny failure is the least of their worries.... a thin layer of sheet metal won't save you from a clutch explosion, that's why scattershields were invented. I tried running without the floor plate in my 55 Chev pu with a high strung 327 and Muncie 4 speed and was amazed at all the funky sounds it made (especially when missing a 2-3 shift at 7000 rpm :eek:), I had to put it back on, it freaked me out.
Open driveshafts scare me more, I've tossed a few out at various speeds and they can really tear things up, once splitting a Ford toploader 4 spd. in half - an exciting ride - very glad there was a floor between me and the carnage....

Hey Sneaky Snake

How the heck do you break something that bad???....the last time I saw something like that I was at the local oval race track....

Tripper...you are a braver man than me...sorta reminds me of a motorcycle with 4 wheels...do you really drive that car anywhere???...no belts...no back support...no windshield...I hope you have lots of life insurance...

thanks to flipper for bringing this up...

MikeC

Tripper...

do you really drive that car anywhere???

Sold it last year but I drove it everywhere!!! :eek:

...no belts

Yeah... it had seat belts! :eek:

...no back support

The tractor replacement seats were fairly comfy & had plenty of support! :eek:

no windshield...

Guilty as charged! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

I hope you have lots of life insurance...

Yep... I have a whole lot! Worth much more dead than alive!!! :D:D:D

BoB

I think I am going to do a bolt in trans tunnel (lots of bolts) so that I can seal the firewall off 100%...and get some strength from the tunnel. I think I can do a close fitting tunnel to maximize interior room and if the trans needs to come out, I can take it out the top.

Latest posts

Back