Fenderless Trucks on s-10 frames..lets see em

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some pics of the ride...

jzea09.jpg

The only thing I would change on that would be the rear wheels

excellent looking ride[dr

Camaro1967406,
How hard do you think it would be for you to change over to a different frame if you ever decided to? Like a home made frame.

it would be real easy to swap frames. the problem would be cost of new axle, steering components, rear end mounting, coil overs, brake system, etc. i know some people don't like the way it looks but for the money i got a nice truck that drives strait and hauls ass!

it would be real easy to swap frames. the problem would be cost of new axle, steering components, rear end mounting, coil overs, brake system, etc. i know some people don't like the way it looks but for the money i got a nice truck that drives strait and hauls ass!

Good for you Camaro. Nobody runnin' for public office here :D. Have you considered placing the radiator in the back? Then the steering box would be prominent in the front, kind of industrial looking :)

Good for you Camaro. Nobody runnin' for public office here :D. Have you considered placing the radiator in the back? Then the steering box would be prominent in the front, kind of industrial looking :)

yea thought about that but you would still have the frame rail sticking out and it's got an ugly shape sticking out there all by it's self. you might could get rid of the steering box and go to some kind of rack but that was more than i wanted to try at the time.

I didn't mean you specifically, although that is what I asked. :)

I believe there is a way to make a good looking IFS open wheel rat - it just hasn't been figured out completely. Daman's is real close, but still has issues IMO.

So what I'm getting at - If a guy wanted to get his rat on the road quick, would it be a big hassle to use an available S10 frame while he got the cab and everything to his liking, then when he had the cash/time/parts, switch to a 'better suited' frame? Get my question?

Put another way. Would it be feasible to use an S10 frame as a temporary stepping stone to the finished project or would it be best to wait and go straight to a built frame?

How much frame sticks out ahead of your A-arms? Did you trim any off? Just curious.

I believe there is a way to make a good looking IFS open wheel rat - it just hasn't been figured out completely. Daman's is real close, but still has issues IMO.

I'm keeping my fenders on my build...but I have been thinking of doing the same with another cab (going fenderless) I have my eyes on. I'd have to stretch it out some then use tubular A arms instead of the stock ones.
Them tubular A arms are way smaller and less noticable. plus they weigh next to nothing and are pretty cheap also.
[S

I would never use any GM type IFS on a fenderless rod. Just because I don't like the looks of them exposed. Too big and bulky. If other people want to use them that's fine, more power to them. But not on anything of mine.

There are some aftermarket IFS that look pretty good. Heidts for one. I have a Fatman Mustang II on my Studebaker however it will have fenders. But IMO I don't think they would look that bad on a fenderless rod especially the coilover Mustang II ones.

Here's a picture on the Mustang II with Stainless Steel tubular A-arms.

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

I don't think Bobw's Plymouth front suspension would look too bad. Maybe a manual rack and pinion to reduce a bit more clutter, but I don't mind the arms and shock location at all. BUT adding coil springs will muddy it up real quick. If the springs were moved inboard somehow.....

The stock S10 A-arms are butt ugly.

MIIDone002.jpg

hey sam fear there are some issues with the s-10 frame it was too wide for my cab at the front the frame bows out for cab mounts so i cut it and shortened it. i did cut the rails off out front but i had to leave room for radiator and steering box. the good thing about using a donor is all the little parts you get. i used the gas tank, break lines fuel lines brake proportioning valve engine brackets throttle cable lots of stuff most people dont have laying around

Here is one we are building and not sure what we are going to do about front end. It is on an S10 frame :):)

Attachments

• John's Rat 01.jpg
    John's Rat 01.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 142
  • John's Rat 02.jpg
    John's Rat 02.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 151
34 0n a s10

1] pick my 40 on a s10

2]my neighbor built this and a few others on s10 frames...frame is pinched alittle ....4" channel

3 another view
4 another view
5 33 bantam w rear frame and partial rales

Attachments

• 100_4863.jpg
    100_4863.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_2678.jpg
    100_2678.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_2683.jpg
    100_2683.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_2679.jpg
    100_2679.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_2685.jpg
    100_2685.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 141
Oh sorry, i took that his 75 nova front end was on a S-10 frame. I would like to see more that use the S-10 frame. I think its interesting to see how people "make do" with them.

my 40 sedan and pinched frame

2x4 box then back to s10 and boxed

Attachments

• 100_5772.jpg
    100_5772.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_5770.jpg
    100_5770.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_5773.jpg
    100_5773.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 55