flat black

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakeido

not sure if this is the right section for this. those of you that are rolling flat black, what style of paint are you using and how does it last? Sorry if this has been asked. I did a search and all it brought up was a flat black Rolls Royce. Thanks:)

It depends alot on what ya wanna spend.Personally I've used black epoxy by PPG ,but also Krylon flat black spray paint in the past.You can even buy flating agent for paint or clear coat.Really good surface prep is the most important.Get a good clean well scuffed surface and about anything will stick to it.

If you want to spray it with a gun and get a good long life out of the job. A very low cost job is any flat chassis black paint and add flattener. Makes a great primer black color but it is sealed.

i used kustom shop on my truck (dark primer tone grey) it was a flattened paint that was pre-packed, all i did was add the reducer and hardener, supplied with the kit- on dabay it sold for around 120 and after seeing it for about 6 months i'm still very happy with its look and durability check it out on a search on e-bay for flat black it pulls up their store and there's LOTS of options on color or even a flat clearcoat......

of couse its not the cheapest option..but it does give UV protection, so it should last a few years......:rolleyes:

Don't use tractor, Blitz or john deere black if ya ever plan on really paintin it.
The stuff is JUNK and has to come all the way off B4 ya ever shoot anything else.
:mad::mad::mad:

The same goes w/ spray bombs too... I was just offering the cheapest way to go...

Check this site out... Its got all kinds of goodies on it... http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/

HOWEVER! I think u-pol or some company make a catalyzing rattle bomb that you have to use in like 24 hours... But for the price of those things you could buy everything you needed to paint your vehicle the right way... I think they're like 15 bux a can...

The John Deere blitz black is used for temparary rust protection on plow bottoms, combine headers and anything that you want to stay slick chromed when used again after a season. So I beleive it isn't designed for wearabilty since you want it to wear off quickly after use...just a thought to pass along.

I used ACE Hardwares brand of Rustoleum. It was $30 a gallon, which is more than enough paint for what i need.. I dont plan on ever repainting my rat so i didnt mind that its an oil based paint. I went with satin black. It goes on real easy with a spray gun, takes a bit longer to dry than a primer or an acrylic paint.

watch out for some of those chassis paints. Some dont react when exposed to sunlight. I used "Chassis Saver" on my Impalas frame, SUPER STRONG plastic like paint when it dries. costs about $80 a gallon. It says right on the can "DO NOT PAINT AREAS EXPOSED TO SUNLIGHT" Im not sure why, but im guessing it fades

Latest posts

Back