Ford 302 id

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReTroJoe

Ok, here is the moron question of the day. I bought a 50' Ford with a 302 in it. I want to find out what year engine it is. Where are the numbers stamped to id the thing? It doesn't have a tag on it. I have been told they are under the engine, stamped on the block by the starter? There are numbers stamped on the backside of the block on the drivers side, but I can't really see them. Any help would be great.

Its prolly hard to say since 302`s were built since 68 till maybe late 90`s or later. I forget when the last mustang had one. Yours could be any combination of block,heads and intake. I believe one way to identify the pre 70 engines was the number of bolts used to hold the pulley to the balancer. I think pre 70 had 3 and later was 4.
The number you refer to above the starter is not stamped but cast into the block. All ford part numbers use the same system , a prefix, a basic number and a suffix. Example D5tz-6500-A The D is the decade the part was first introduced B=50, C==60`s D= 70`s and so on. the second digit is the year, The third is the model of vehicle ie: Z= mustang,T=truck I forget the others I`m not sure about the 4th, The basic number identify`s the part I believe 6500 is cylinder block, 9510 is carb thereis thousands. the suffix may be revisions to the part. Idont speak real fluent ford part numbers but this will give you a ruff idea.

only place is on the block right by the starter. They are cast into the block. If you can get the number off the balancer you will be able to till if its per 1980 or post 1980. That is the main thing you need to know about the motor. They changed the balance around that time. Pre were 28 oz and after were 50 oz.

Latest posts

Back