Frame cut angles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnoxVegas

When I look at the frames that people build I noticed that everyone uses the same method when cutting the frame pieces. I'm referring to the kick up in the rear. The bottom of the frame is left straight and the top part of the frame is left straight, the part that connects the two pieces (upright piece) has the angles cut on both ends. My question is why doesn't anyone split the angle and cut all three pieces? For instance, if you want a 90 degree angle you cut both pieces at 45 degrees and weld them together. What I normally see is the bottom piece is not cut and the upright piece is cut at whatever angle is desired. Does cutting the frame pieces this way disperse the stress better or is it just easier to only cut one piece?[S

45's have more weld length. I think that is a stronger weld. Also you can plate the insides of the joints that way. Besides 90's being fewer cuts, you have to have something that can cut a good 45.

angles

i would split theangles that way you can keep the weather out of the box section .if you cant do the geometry have you much business building a rod

Nunattax- That is what I was thinking too. I think it would look a lot more finished if you split the angle. Maybe that is just my carpentry past coming back to visit me. lol

Sam_Fear- I was just using the 90 as an example. My real question is about putting the entire cut angle on one piece of tubing or cutting two pieces to match together and make the same angle. Personally I'll be plating all my joints as a "better safe than sorry" security factor.

Thanks for the response

I hear ya. My statement holds true for any angle. If you split it, you'll have more weld - which is good.

The only reason I can see NOT to split the angle is because you have to be right the first time. You set your rail down and then slide your kick up back and forth until you have it in the right spot - tack, weld, cut off the extra. A split angle, you have to have your rail and kick up lengths correct right off. No chance for deciding you want it longer.

I hear ya. My statement holds true for any angle. If you split it, you'll have more weld - which is good.

The only reason I can see NOT to split the angle is because you have to be right the first time. You set your rail down and then slide your kick up back and forth until you have it in the right spot - tack, weld, cut off the extra. A split angle, you have to have your rail and kick up lengths correct right off. No chance for deciding you want it longer.

It's always good to be able to cut it off and start again! lol

I did mine at 90, welded one to the side of the other, put a plate over the open end. There is more steel and more weld in the joint that doing it at 45 degrees, so I reckon it is stronger.

Mine you, it will be about 500% stronger than it needs to be, so it is no big deal. [;)

Okay, okay, I admit, I really I couldn't be bothered messing round trying to get the 45 degrees all nice and square. :eek:

I did mine at 90, welded one to the side of the other, put a plate over the open end. There is more steel and more weld in the joint that doing it at 45 degrees, so I reckon it is stronger.

Mine you, it will be about 500% stronger than it needs to be, so it is no big deal. [;)

Okay, okay, I admit, I really I couldn't be bothered messing round trying to get the 45 degrees all nice and square. :eek:

Sounds like you build like I do. Build it stronger than it needs to be and then I don't ever have to worry about it.

Latest posts

Back