Frame welding

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

34leep

I ve read several post on frame fab. After all is square and tacked . How does one go about finish welding a custom frame without a jig ? Do you jump around like when you weld sheet metal ? Or does it have to be one continuous weld ? Can tubing " X " bracing or crisscross I should say at several different locations of frame help keep from moving ? Not sure if Im using proper terminology. What I mean is tack brace tubing to top of frame tube on top at one side and bottom of frame tube at other side . Of course tack braces at cross intersection as well.

I usually clamp my frames down to the table, or frame jig to weld them up. I am guessing you are building on the floor. Yes, move around with your welds. Keep in mind which way the metal will pull when you weld. Cross measure often, to check square. Welding in bracing won't help, as much as taking your time on the welding.

I usually clamp my frames down to the table, or frame jig to weld them up. I am guessing you are building on the floor. Yes, move around with your welds. Keep in mind which way the metal will pull when you weld. Cross measure often, to check square. Welding in bracing won't help, as much as taking your time on the welding.
[/QUOTA

A pro welder friend of mine is doing the actual welding .He s an A+ welder . Just looking for info to pass on to him. Would tacking it to his table work ? Seen I m not stocked up on many clamps .

Latest posts

Back