Has anyone here done a Half leaf front suspension?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tossed the idea of a Half leaf , straight axle, front suspension around for a project vehicle before. I ended up not doing it at the time for cosmetic reasons.

But knowing the inventive people we have here... What have you done and what does it look like...[P

i started a thread when i first got here on the quarter elliptic spring front---"quarter elliptic front" on the search here will give it to ya......
that is the type of front on a Zipper lakes modified, and what i originally intended for my 52--but took the easy(?) way out with the buggy spring front......

hope that helps.....

2008_0803box0005.jpg

Here's one I did. The spring runs along side the frame so it can be longer and ride better. There is a shackle at the front axle the attached to a spring pivot from Speedway. The spring pivot bolts to a 3/8" thick plate welded to the axle.

I'v setup a few they work real good,Poisies makes a great adjustable kit with a heavy and a light spring rates.

Yep, Quarter elliptical is exactly what I had thought of, Four link, and solid mounted springs that slid on the axle,in a pocket(the pocket was to provide the same control as a pan hard bar. Never used the idea, we brought it up as a possibility, and thought many deferent styles that could work well. We threw a lot of ideas out... Modified twin I beam, Indy style suspensions, and torsion bars hidden in the frame rails and linked to the axle.

And yes, I should use the search...(saves bandwidth) but then I'd might miss a current or recent idea and build.

Learn from others and improve the ideas.... Boaski has a wonderful start on his F5 and it is different in many ways. Which is what I love about the Rat rod tradition.

It is a forged axle. As far as I know, all original equipment axles are forged. Only a few aftermarket dropped axles are cast. So, not problem welding it.

Latest posts

Back