I need engine Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew

I’m not shy about jumping into frame work, major body stuff, electrical, breaks, welding, ill try just about anything and 90% of the time it works perfect. We all have our “crap I should have done this” moments but all in all I can figure it out. BUT…
I have never done any Engine work and I don’t want to be saying the crap phrase when dealing with parts that sensitive. I have a 350 (I thank! see that’s how bad off I am I don’t even know if it a 350 for sure) that leaks like a sink and you can hear some lifter noise. My goal on my truck is to have a very strong high HP ugly hunk of old soul metal that scares kids and rich women into running back into stores. Are there any guys in New Mexico willing to give a hand maybe teach me a thing or two about engine rebuilding if I had the $ to pay it would be no issue id just take it to a shop but that ant the case lol so any guidance?

Well, first you need to find out exactly what motor you have, and then what year. Check for serial #'s and casting #'s. If it's a 350, serial # will be on the front right. Casting # on rear top. Run those #'s in google and see what comes up. (I'm not a Chevy guy, so my info might not be %100)

ok i found the #'s on a pad in front of the passenger side cylinder head. it is a 350 made in eather 72 or 80.

Okay, so you've got a 350 that leaks (oil?, coolant?) and has some noisey lifters. There's a chance you can make the rattles go away if all it needs is a lash adjustment. You can do this. Your gonna pull the valve covers, give a look, how sludged up is she? if it looks fairly clean in there then that's a good sign that this is worth the effort. At this point you are going to get out a 3/8 ratchet an extension and a deep well socket that fits the nut holding the rocker arms. Fire her up, yeah it's gonna get messy, get some hot oil on the headers and it might even catch fire. An old set of valve covers with the tops cut off (or just one) works well to contain the oil while the engine is running. So your gonna back off that nut holding the rocker arm down till it starts ticking then tighten it up till it just goes away then give it 1/2 to 3/4 turn more. Do this to all of them. Replace those valve cover gaskets (bam, you just fixed one leak) don't overtighten the valve covers. Hey this is a good time to go out and get yourself a book on the small block chevy, it will give you torque specs and all kinds of helpful info. If you had to noticably tighten one or more rockers down more than the rest, you either have a wiped out cam lobe (probably) or the stud is pulling out of the head (not very likely on a stocker).
If it runs good and quiet and has good oil pressure you have a good little motor to build on. Let us know.

Is it one lifter or all of them? Since you gave no info on this motor, make sure you don't have solid lifters. Odds are high you don't.

Thanks for the info and it is leaking oil not coolant. I just noticed the passenger side exhaust is lose where the exhaust manifold meets the exhaust pipe could this cause lifter noise or something that sounds similar I would guess it is one or two lifters not all. And yes I'm looking for a good book on it.

Use s piece of hose as a stethoscope and see if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from. Yes, that exhaust leak could sound like a engine noise.

I have rebuilt several engines but still bought a good reference for rebuilding the SBC. I can't remember the name of it but very good read and breaks it down to the basics. There is alot of info out there on SBC's and they are a cheap and easy engine to learn on. I wish you were closer I would be glad to help. I love New Mexico but Oregon is more than a short drive away from you. I bought a cheap mechanic's stethoscope from Harbor Freight and it helps find noises very well for $4.

glad to hear! I've decided to delay the engine for a little i have plenty of other things i need to finish on it first. When i get to that point ill hit u up and see what we can do!

Latest posts

Back