ignition setup question for sbc?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I know this is a dumb question but can't seem to find any concrete info. I'm to the point of wiring my truck (have never done this before) and am not sure what all it takes for the ignition system. I'm guessing I need an ignition switch, starter button, a starter and starter solenoid, ignition coil and distributor. I'm just going to use a push button starter switch. If I understand correctly the ignition switch opens the current. The starter switch starts the truck. The ignition coil runs to the distributor. If I am waaaaaaaay off please let me know. As a new builder I don't just want to know WHAT I need but WHY I need it and HOW IT WORKS.

Thanks and again sorry for the stupid question. I couldn't find a post just solely on this.

Your question is not dumb but to give you a complete education on wiring you car would be lenghty. With the kits that are available today at reasonable prices I recommend you buy a basic wiring kit like what rebel wire sells. It comes with very good instructions and diagrams that are easy to understand. http://www.rebelwire.com/
Get the kit that best suits your needs, probably the 8 circuit kit for rat rods and if you have questions about installing the kit as you go along we will help you.

I agree the wiring instructions in the kits will tell you how to hook everything up, but they will not tell you the WHY (as in what does what).

I would spend a couple of bucks and get a basic auto electrical book. Yeah it may seem silly, but it will help you in the long run to diagnose problems if you understand how everything works.

I also got the 12-circuit Speedway kit, but if I had to do it over again I would have gotten the 8-circuit Rebel kit. I'm going to cut 2/3 of the wires out of the speedway kit, kind of a waste!

Thanks for the responses. This isn't just a first build for me, this is a build that's gonna teach me a lot about hot rods (and it has already). Thanks again for the responses.

Latest posts

Back