International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plug changes sure look easy with the headers mounted upside down!!! But it didn't look right. I like the machine gun barrel idea.

You are missing an essential book, Maximum Boost by Corky Bell I believe...

By all means that is one of the best books out there. Ton O math in there to swell your head. if you decide to go the turbo route give me a shout. I will give you a hand with what ever you need info wise. [P

Fab up something that looks like this, one on each side; leave the headers upside down.

Rock%20Hard%20011.jpg

Last edited:
Fab up something that looks like this, one on each side; leave the headers upside down.

Rock%20Hard%20011.jpg

Hum, I think your onto something here.
The only thing I want is to dump the exhaust outside the edge of the cab, this way the inside of the cab doesn't get gassed out.

I really like that look though! It fits the truck nicely. Maybe I'll tie that into

Any new progress?

Any new progress?

Unfortunately not lately. A friends parents bought a new house, then they wanted their toilets replace. In the process of that, I found the subfloor in the main bath to be all rotted out, so they decided to have me rip the whole bathroom to the studs and remodel it. So that took up all my time after work the past week or so.
Before:
cee6cc4c.jpg

968530e8.jpg

During:
191f09d4.jpg

After:
Still needs paint.
0b39b837.jpg

fe89df52.jpg

dad1066e.jpg

Good news is I'll be getting back on the truck soon I think.

Turned out nice. Hopefully you broke in the crapper.
Of course! I had to be the first to enjoy the fruites of my effort :)

I like the shelves and the little window looking dealy that you put in the shower.

Now that being said hows the truck coming? [P
It's been sitting relaxing for a while, but I think it's wanting an overdrive transmission, so I've been looking for a 790r4 to stab into it. I'm still stuck on the stuck motor, so I want to take the cab off and split the trans from the engine then try to roll it over again. I'm pretty sure something between the two has the engine locked up. I figured if I can roll it over with the trans off, I'll throw in a overdrive trans, then measure for the driveshaft.
I will soon return to the exhaust.... As long as the engine turns.

Yes, you did a great job there!
Thanks! Been a long time since I've done something of this size. Usually I just tell people how to do that kind of work. It was nice getting to do it all myself this time :D

Man I love everything about this truck. You put a lot of work into this. Cant wait to see more.[dr

Thanks Jim! It's been a Sweet project. Makes my brain work, and I like that :)

As for an update, I built the headers and went to fire the engine up and couldnt get it to turn. Starter was engaging, but no turn.

I pulled the engine out and separated it from the trans. My pops gave me a flywheel turning tool that grabs the teeth of the flywheel so you can have leverage to turn by hand. Couldn't get it to budge [S

SO, started tearing it apart. Took off the heads to see the cylinder walls. Looks pretty good, but it was still a lot harder then it should be to turn.
Flipped it over and took out the crank and found 3 worn mains. :mad:

So now it's time to rebuild a new heart. 383 it is. The parts I'm looming at getting should get it around the 400 Hp/ 425 ft lbs. only problem is that's about $3k I don't have with a new little girl baking in the oven.

Looks like the truck is on pause for now (never thought I would ever have to say that :mad:)

I was talking to a friend the other day and got onto the subject of trikes. I told him I wanted a little 250cc that I can chop up just to play around the neighborhood on for cheap. He donated a clear titled Honda sl350. I'm ripping into it now. I'll build it up pretty quick and sell it to a colledge kid as a fun little commuter ride :)

I'll use the money I get out of it to fund the new engine, then we're back in business again

Follow that thread here for now :
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25607

I pushed the rat to the side of the house for now. One, so I can see it every time I pull I it the driveway (for motivation) and second, so I have room to get the trike built. I want to be able to sit back and look at the trike to get the proportions right. I will end up powder coating the whole bike, polishing p the engine, making it pretty so I can get the biggest bang for my buck out of it. I would LOVE to get $2500 but we will see what happens.

Love the trike idea. Yer truck kills me. It has that bad attitude look. Im excited to see it up n running. Hurry....hurry!!! Loll RR:D

[cl JML I Love Watching Your Video's And Progression... You Have Much Talent My Man...! Keep It Up And We'll Watch For Your Builds... -EZ

[cl JML I Love Watching Your Video's And Progression... You Have Much Talent My Man...! Keep It Up And We'll Watch For Your Builds... -EZ

Thanks EZ! I have it sitting outside the house in The front right now and it gets lots of looks! Most people like it which is good. I wish I had more time to spend on it lately but that time will come.
I'm thinking about it every day and I certainly haven't lost motivation. I get comments all the time on YouTube about it along with new subscriptions so it seems people like the step by step videos I've made so ill keep that going.
Baby is due in feb and I know that'll change some things, but I also have a few other things on the burner to get me some more dough, so that means ill be able to purchase parts for it and stockpile for when I find more time, I can go to town again.
It seems like I get these lulls of progress for a few months, then suddenly one day it all changes and I move things around and make good headway on it again.
You can be sure I will post progress as it happens. Still looking forward to that madian voyage video [cl

Sorry, but I'm not impressed with destroying a rare truck ( the 1950 was a one year only model with hidden hinges) the next few years were more plentiful.

It just makes all the others more valueble! [cl

It takes time, money and effort to restore vehicles. I know as I worked in my dad's MG resto shop for years. What would have happened to this one if it had been restored? Put in a museum? kept locked away? Up keep of a restored car is expensive as well. After all of that if it isn't a desirable car then it will just be forgotten once the owner who restored it moves on. I also see time and again top builders go and buy a pristine original low mileage car and cut it up for their hot rod project. They throw out the motor, trans, frame, suspension, interiot and most of the body panels. Those are the real shame.

Sorry, but I'm not impressed with destroying a rare truck ( the 1950 was a one year only model with hidden hinges) the next few years were more plentiful.

I had to take a bit of time to think about how to reply to this without sounding rude. Tough I did not come up with a solution, ill reply to the best of my abilities anyways.

The old saying goes, "to each their own". I saved this truck from a junk yard and am quite happy I did. You say I am destroying a rare truck. However, I feel as though I'm giving it new life. It will not be sent to the crusher. It will not be sitting, rotting in a field. It has spent the past 2 years in the care of an owner that cherishes it again. The owner has great pride in this truck and will continue to do so until they part ways.
As a mechanic and a car guy, surely you know that your first build is not something that happens over night. Sometimes it just falls into your lap.
I have spent countless nights lying awake and thinking about what to do next, how to make it better, and most of all, how to make it mine.

This truck defines me and the person I am and if that offends some, so be it. I didn't spend days researching the truck and if was so rare, then why was I the first to see it as a good project and not many others before me?
This truck was forgotten, and now, this truck will be remembered by many for the personality it has now, not by its hinges.

I appreciate your comments on the thread as well as my YouTube channel and I respect them, but reality is, they were unneeded.

Latest posts

Back