introduction

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Changinlanes

Brand new to the rat rod scene, I've been ridin harleys for 'bout 25 years and due to my brother being critically injured in an accident I vowed to quit ridin, if he can't ride anymore neither am I. I've posted my shovelhead on craigslist and I'm in the beginning stage of rat rod addiction. I'm lookin for a '28 or '29 ford model A sedan, but anyway, I found somethin of interest but it doesn't have a title, it's no where near finished so I guess I can call it whatever I want.
My question is will I be able to legally license it? if so how? and what kind of documentation do I need from the seller? by the way, I'm still lookin for the model A, soon as my bike sells I'm buyin ( it needs to be road ready so I can enjoy the build of this other project)
Thanks for welcoming me and I appreciate any advice you're willing to give.

ck with DMV in your state if your lucky you can get builders title with receipts and bill of sale for major parts, good luck

welcome to the triple R, a great place to hang out. Sorry to hear about your brother. Rat rods are lots of fun and good luck finging a project! Keep us posted!

Beercan

Welcome! The law varies from state to state. Walk up to the clerk at the DMV and ask them what you need to do. Don't even try to get correct info over the phone. If you don't like what the clerk tells you, try to get info from guys in your area that have found ways to get their cars legal.

Welcome to the RRR. Sorry about your bro. I lost my best friend in a bike wreck, he was 27. I saw him laying in the street dying on my way home from work. I was a long time ago, but I sold my bike and I have never rode one since, it's been about 17 years ago. Oh , my friend was wearing a helmet and the wreck was the other guy's fault but he's still dead. Welcome to the site and I hope you feel at home. Join right in and feel free to post pics of your bike if you got em.

Welcome to RRR!

There are also different laws for cars without a title as compared to 'home built' cars. Generally try to avoid letting the DMV think it's a home built because those laws get real tough depending on the state. Act as if you're restoring it.

Welcome from north Texas! I'm also new to the sickness, but unfortunately I don't have a Shovelhead to sell :p Keep an eye on the "Rat Rods for Sale" forum here though and you may just find that ride you're looking for. Sorry to hear about your brother (one of my brothers currently rides a Dyna WG). Will he be able to join you in the ratrod endeavors at least?

Anyway, good luck and welcome!

Fred B.

Latest posts

Back