1927 Roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty cool to use a Rolls engine.
I owned a 1964 VandenPlas Princess many moons ago. It had an inline 6 Rolls engine. I think it was developed for that car. All that RR stuff runs crazy smooth when adjusted correctly. :cool:

I'd decided lake style headers would be cool and as discovered earlier, the exhaust ports are nearly identical to that of a BBC. So on went the hunt for a set of BBC Lakester headers that can be reworked to fit. Gee wiz they're all 300 bucks and over while SBF and SBC headers can be had for under 200. Then I came across some Flowtechs from the Holley website for 165.00 delivered. They're hanging on the exhaust manifold studs. See what you think.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9143.jpg
    IMG_9143.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 58
Thanks Guys! I'm excited now that the Suzuki moves on it's power it'll free up some space. So next week I can bring the 27 down from the warehouse in Craig and get serious in the shop where all the good tools are!

I think it's awesome that you're using the Rolls engine.
Very unique.

Thanks OI. I also have a RR Silver Cloud rear axle. Preliminary measurements say it will fit/work. I probably wouldn't work towards using it but, the 9" that's in it now was welded up with a pinion angle of 6 degrees so it might be easier in the long run.

Bad news good news. What I assumed was a 9" is not. I dug into the box the 3rd member was packed in and snapped a photo.
Good news is, I won't feel so bad about not using the axle that's in the car and going with the Rolls axle which is cool as heck and only about 2" wider. So it'll be more inline with the front axle width.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9158.jpg
    IMG_9158.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9161.jpg
    IMG_9161.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9162.jpg
    IMG_9162.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 33
8”? Still be good up to 400 hp in a light car.

I agree Bama and would probably use it if the brackets for the Radius arms and transverse spring were welded at the correct angle. With the Rolls axle it'll be start over vs. cutting and grinding, plus, I get to keep the "theme" going. Either way, new brackets will be needed. Interesting side note is it's an 8" with 5 on 5.5"?

Holy crap :eek: look at all the bolts :cool:

No kidding!

. Interesting side note is it's an 8" with 5 on 5.5"?

No kidding!

Probably got 28 spline axles from a truck 9”. Not a common swap, usually see truck or Bronco 9” converted to 4.5” small car pattern. 8” and 9” 28 spline axles usually swap if the length is correct.

The Rolls rear is interesting! Reminds you of a heavy duty Ford banjo.

Rolls diff is super cool, not many people would know its origin. Are you going to eliminate that crazy servo/brake off the tranny? Seems like just uneccessary complication, typical Brit way of doing things, they're crazy for gizmos and linkage and add on things....
[cl[cl[P[P

Probably got 28 spline axles from a truck 9”. Not a common swap, usually see truck or Bronco 9” converted to 4.5” small car pattern. 8” and 9” 28 spline axles usually swap if the length is correct.

The Rolls rear is interesting! Reminds you of a heavy duty Ford banjo.

As it turns out my memory and tendencies towards assumption has made a fool of me once again. The wheels lugs are not 5 on 5.5". So, I'll need to buy a couple wheels that are, to match the Rolls axle.

Rolls diff is super cool, not many people would know its origin. Are you going to eliminate that crazy servo/brake off the tranny? Seems like just uneccessary complication, typical Brit way of doing things, they're crazy for gizmos and linkage and add on things....
[cl[cl[P[P

It would be possible to retain the power brake servo but I'd need to relocate the master cylinder to the passenger side rear of the frame and then hire a team of British engineers to design the linkages necessary for it to work. So instead, it's been removed and a plan to use it's mounting holes on the tail shaft housing for mounting a fabricated trans cross member are in the works.[S

There's a cap that holds the taper bearing race on the other side of the tail shaft housing that could also be used for a tranny mount bracket of some sort.[S

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9037.jpg
    IMG_9037.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back