media or soda blasting before chop?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cprince09

So I think I read on here one day that it wasn't a good idea to do a chop and then media blast or soda blast, is that true? If so, why?

You definitely want to blast first, chop second. The heat from blasting will cause the metal to warp especialy if it is under any stress from the chop. I made the mistake of blasting after and where I had added metal on the cross cut went from a perfect chop to having a dip that wouldnt come out.

You might can get away with it, but why risk it.I knew I had a lot of metal work to do and didnt want a raw metal cab sitting for a long time so I waited. Im sure if your careful and use the right media it may go smooth but wanted to tell what happened to mine.

I've had two cabs blasted using Garnet (sp?). It makes it so much easier and nicer to work on plus it really shows you what you're up against. The shop that did both of my cabs does it on a time and materials basis, so I got the cabs as clean as possible before I delivered them. Saves a little $.

Attachments

• 40 GMC 047.jpg
    40 GMC 047.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back