Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob -- Glad to hear that you are feeling better[cl Lets hope this is the end of your medical stuff for a while.

Grand kids said the weather in MI was just about the same. I cannot handle that humidity. It's been 100 - 104 in Bakersfield for a week, sure glad we made the move back to Camarillo last year, was 72 - 75 all week with light wind off the coast.

Sam Fear Stopped By/Renault on 4 wheels

Sam Fear and wife stopped by on their "Camping Tour of the Mosquito Infested Upper Mid-West". Showed him all my projects and had a nice visit. Cool couple.

Finally got the correct bolts for the rear control arms and got the 8.8 Ford rear end in place. Put the wheels on just to see how it sits. Got a bit of a gasser stance but I'm hoping the front will come down with more weight. The back should settle an inch or so too.

I thinks it's great when members can meet members and spouses are frosting on the cake. [cl
The car is looking super. Dropped axle time maybe [S

Low and tight :eek::D

As hard as it is for use senior dudes to get in/out , the next build

should be a BBC Cady with a full bench seat. [cl[cl;);)

Glad to see you back at it.

Bob,

Looks like you're using the Mustang II coil springs? It sure would be nice to be able the accurately predict the spring rate needed to get the desired ride height. You go through the build with solid rod replacing the coils, then get to the end and it's hard to see how you'll ever get it low enough with the springs you install.

Even after it's on the road they say it will continue to drop another 1" over a month of driving.

How and when do you decide to buy lighter springs or cut some coils off?

Just remembered i had one of these in about '73. Traded a car stereo for it :rolleyes: I heated the coils in the front. Thought it was a fun little car, or would have been if it would have had any power at all. Good that you are taking care of that shortcoming in yours. :D

I had the same problem with my Rover build, DJ. It is a very light aluminum bodied car. I bought 275# springs from Speedway and cut 1 1/2 coils out of them. Still had to use dropped spindles.

The Renault is small and light plus I pushed the engine back a bunch.

There's a set of dropped spindles on craigslist I'll have to pick up.

I snaked the steering shaft through using 2 u-joints. Just have to add the quick release steering wheel hub to the other end.

The narrowed 8.8 Mustang rear end and control arms along with the "fake" coil overs look pretty good back there.

At the Back to the 50's car show I walked past a tail light vendor and saw these LED 1950 Chevy tail lights. Thought they might fit the Renault pretty well. Today I put them on and was pleased with how they fit the contours.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back