Modal A rims on my 51 ford rat?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1951F2

Hey guys first post. Have been lurking for sometime. I’m building a 51f2 and just started welding up the frame. I have some questions about tires. I want to run the model A rims and really like the way they look. My f1 axle is 5x5.5…..are there any of those spoked rims out there that will work? I bought some that were from 1930 but there 5 x 5-1/4

Any help would be great

Attachments

• IMG_6665.jpeg
    IMG_6665.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6600.jpeg
    IMG_6600.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Glad to have you on board. I've always loved those rims myself, but don't know the original bolt pattern. I'm pretty sure someone reproduces those in a bolt pattern that would work for you. Option- you can always have your axles re-drilled to fit what you have.

Have you started thinking about frame choice yet?

I also was going to put old wire wheels on '40's hubs and assumed that the wheels would be 5 on 5 1/2" patterns. Maybe try the wheels on the hubs to make sure the measurements aren't fooling with you.

There are thin adapters out there, [maybe at Speedway], that will fit over your wheel bolts and give the wire wheels support in the right places. The newer hubs don't have the right shape to support the wheels properly, so these inexpensive adapters will keep your wheel from flexing enough to crack. I hope those wheels will work for you.

I wouldn't try it. Those wheels were designed for a lightweight Model A, a heavy 50's pickup will tear them to shreds in no time.

I also was going to put old wire wheels on '40's hubs and assumed that the wheels would be 5 on 5 1/2" patterns. Maybe try the wheels on the hubs to make sure the measurements aren't fooling with you.

There are thin adapters out there, [maybe at Speedway], that will fit over your wheel bolts and give the wire wheels support in the right places. The newer hubs don't have the right shape to support the wheels properly, so these inexpensive adapters will keep your wheel from flexing enough to crack. I hope those wheels will work for you.
I wouldn't try it. Those wheels were designed for a lightweight Model A, a heavy 50's pickup will tear them to shreds in no time.
1951F2- These are a couple of guys who know what's going on. Here's a great link from Speedway to back up what they both said. Glad to have learned something myself that I never knew about! Thanks!
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/ford-vintage-wire-spoke-wheels-guide-1928-1935/28813

Thanks guys! I found everything I need to put these. Going to try it out and see how it works.

Original model a wheels are 5 on 5.5 not 5.25. I have ran them on ford 9" rear axles with 5on5.5.

Latest posts

Back