My first build-1938 GMC pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2008_0824box0002.jpg

There's plenty of work around the beltline bead because that's where the previous owner make the cut for the chop, so that's where it's welded. Gonna be hard to have a nice, sharp line there. I finish welded the top on one door with the gas welder because the door skin is so thin; looks like 22ga. I haven't taught Zach the manly art of gas welding yet. I will, but not on these thin door skins.

2008_1004Misc0001.jpg

Zach finished welding the frame. I had a quart of white Rustoleum primer. While Zach & his buddy Sam went to Lowes for some cheap brushes, I added some red & grey to the white primer. I think Z's frame looks 'pretty in pink', eh?

Awesome build...but..

HEy Zach,..great build but I was wondering something....uh..can I RENT your grandpa out to help me too..??!?!?:D:D:D:D I pay good...! BUT please..DONT make me paint it PINK....:eek:

Really nice work! That frame`ll be fine. Any `ol truck can have a black frame, It takes a really tough one to pull off pink!:D:D Your truck is looking great! Good luck with that weld on the beltline.

that pink paint just had to go i traded it out for some gloss black. Wow, its been a while since i posted on here. I'd like to think that i've been getting a lot done. The frame is now a rolling chassis, last night i put the front shocks in and the motor in so now the motor and all of the suspension are in for the final time. All the wiring for the back is in, the brake lines and fuel lines are in, along with the gas tank. The box is installed and painted army greem which is the color i will be painting the cab as well. I've got a lot done over Christmas break and am super excited to keep working to get this thing done. The biggest job left to do is finish the body work on the lower part of the body and the doors. I'll try to keep more frequent posts going, but for awhile there i was just doing little things here and there, but the project really progressed in the past few weeks.

P1180008.jpg

P1180012.jpg

P1180006.jpg

P1180003.jpg

P1180014.jpg

Here are some old vids i found on my laptop i took one time when my grampa was still working in the Dodge, i thought they were kinda cool. If these work then i will know how to take vids of it starting and driving and what not.

2009_0522trk0002.jpg

Zach has been assembling his GMC but it is going a bit slow. Lack of time & $$$. Also, he's busy with completing his senior year in high school. He and 4 other guys built this high mileage car for competition against other high schools. They came in second in a field of almost 60 vehicles.

2009_0522trk0010.jpg

They averaged over 400mpg. We sure didn't have cool projects like this when I was in high school a hundred years ago.
In the fall, Zach is going away to Tech. College to become a wind power technician.

2009_0802trk0002.jpg

I know I should let Zach do this, but...after working on the truck this summer he made his first trip around the neighborhood. The whole family was there to clap and cheer as he backed the little truck down the driveway and made a short cruise. Zach's brother, Justin did some video so I hope he will post that pretty soon.

Latest posts

Back